Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tuesday?

I think it's Tuesday.
 
At any rate, it is cold and getting colder.  Our high was 32 degrees and we got there about 6:00.  A.M.!!  The next cold front is probably here, it was cold all day but when I was walking out of Wallyworld it felt like the temp was dropping and dropping fast.
 
Bill got up before I did this morning, then when I did manage to get up there was a nice, warm fire going.  And a beagle who moved around on her blankets several time - but never, ever took her rear parts off of the rocks around the fireplace!
 
A while back, I started a yarn wreath.  I put it aside for a while, since I didn't really have a place to put it.  But I knew I'd eventually have a guest/craft/sewing/YARN room since I started it after Otter started making her plans to move out.  Today, I finished it.  I took pictures, but blogger is having issues and not letting me post pictures at the moment.  I hope to eventually get it on the craft blog.  Blogger's issue is probably with the last (unwanted) update, because that is when a bunch of problems started.  Anyway, the yarn wreath is finished and it is now hanging on the door to the guest/craft/sewing/YARN room and I'm pleased with it.
 
Bill needed to visit the tool store today.  Otter was off work, so he didn't get to be waited on by his favorite cashier.  But he did get another tool, actually he got a special type of mask to use when sanding so that he can still breathe while operating the sand blaster.
 
I also went to Hobby Lobby, for fabric for another project.  I am making a shadow box.  I actually have one that Mom made.  It has things that belonged to a special aunt of ours, referred to here as AJ.  It has her watch (her wrist was impossibly tiny), a thimble, ring (no stone, just the ring part itself) and a few crochet hooks that she used when making doilies - as in thread crochet, and a small doily she made.  The glass came off of the frame a while back.  I decided to redo it, but this time I'm going to include a couple of things that were Mom's - a crochet piece that she started but never finished (it's a cover for a clothes hanger), a fabric strip that was her size marker for the clothes hanger covers and the plastic bag that both items were in (because she wrote on the outside of the bag what it was) and also a fabric scissor holder that I helped her make.  I bought a clear plastic box frame and today at Hobby I found some really pretty quilt-ish patterned fabric to line the back of the frame with.  Also will eventually be put on the craft blog, assuming that blogger and my fembot computer start talking nicely to each other!
 
While I was making the yarn wreath, I discovered something else:  I have no glue sticks for my glue gun!  I have a sneaking feeling that they might have run off to a certain apartment I know of.  :)  I had to go get lettuce anyway, so I went to wally and got glue sticks.  I paid for the lettuce, but it didn't get home with me.  Everything else did that I paid for, so I get to go back to Wally in the morning and get my missing lettuce!
 
Bill cleaned the hallway carpet yesterday.  When we (ok, he mostly!) cleaned the living room carpet recently, he stopped at the hall.  And it was obvious a) exactly where he stopped and b) just how dirty the carpet really was!  Now the hallway carpet is clean and the last of the dog-ish smell seems to be gone.  I hope that we can keep it that way.
 
Otter came over yesterday.  We took her the car Monday afternoon, we met her at an arcade she was at with J and a couple of their friends.  She went home and went to bed about 7:00 p.m, then got up at 1:00 a.m. to get to work at 2:00 a.m.  She worked until about 9:30 a.m., then she came over here and we had Christmas with her.  I wanted to go to Michaels and she wanted to go with me.  We hit a couple of other places and then stopped at Dairy Queen to get lunch to bring home.  I think it was around 2:30 or 3:00 when she left go to home.  She was pretty tired by that point, which was understandable considering how long she'd been up!  Anyway, she gave Bill a collection of sci-fi movies and some of them are pretty "bad" - exactly what he likes!  She got me something fun for Christmas:


Seems she's heard me (and many, many, many others - we are legion) talk about how all those cell phones (and a lot of other things we enjoy/use today) wouldn't even exist if a brilliant man had never imagined Star Trek.  So she got me my very own communicator!  Bill's had as much fun with it as I have, it makes assorted (correct) noises and has various ST voices with various ST phrases.
 
**But she got me something even more special for my birthday:



Meet Gerrold!  Actually, "his" name is Gerrold Irving Kahless.  I named "him" but "his" nickname is Fred.  (Because the Irving Feinberg was incorrectly referred to as Fred in something I read about Star Trek many years ago.)

For all 2 of you who don't know what Gerrold/Fred is:  Tribbles!  "His" name should be self-explanatory after you read the article, also you can probably figure out why "he" is in quotations and also why "his" last name is Klingon!

**I raised that girl right.  Birthdays are separate from the holiday they might happen to fall on/by.

The Borg Queen is pleased!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She definitely knows what you like.Froggy