Tuesday, November 06, 2007

(Maybe) Quick Update on the recent stuff!

I faxed all the paperwork to the Telecheck collection department today, and mailed them the originals. I made several copies. I don't let anything go without keeping copies of it for our files.

My bank statement came today, it has the last of the old account and the start of the new one. It also has the checks that did not clear - including the one I got the collection letter on (shown as not clearing, showing as stopped and showing the forged amount) - AND ONE OTHER ONE THAT WAS STOLEN BUT DID NOT CLEAR - FOR OVER $1600.00. It's the correct number as one of the stolen checks, the bank did not clear it but it still shows the amount it was forged for on the statement. I'm guessing that it might also be WalMart, but I haven't heard anything from anybody else in terms of collection agencies. There were 5 checks in all, two of them got to their destination but were returned to me since I'd already called the places, the $1800+ that was forged at WalMart, the $1600+ that showed up as stopped and was forged on today's bank statement and that left one. Which apparently DID get to it's destination, and they tried to send it through but the bank denied it as I'd stopped it already. I've already replaced that one with a check from the new account, so there should not be any NSF charges on it being run through (which I wouldn't pay anyway since I called them the day the theft happened!). But now we at least don't think that the checks were copied, since the check numbers match up with the stolen ones. They were "just" forged.

When I sent the paperwork to the collection agency, I attached a list with the check numbers, original payees, dates written and original amounts since the letter did not say which specific check number it was for. If the second one was also written to WalMart, hopefully they will be able to look up the file they now have on me and I won't get another letter! If I do, I'll send them copies of what I sent them today. If there is another letter from another collection agency, they will also get copies.

The staph infection that has been in the news has now hit the Tulsa area. It's in several schools, including our district. Otter brought home a letter from the school district about it, and we also got an automated call from the principal about it. I'm not too worried about it, it can be contagious but it isn't automatically horrible, fatal or even serious! Yes, there are cases that are serious. But the majority of the cases are resolved, although it might take a while since it's resistant to a lot of antibiotics. I was already familiar with it, since Mom had a case of it towards the end of her life and Froggy and I researched it then. Wash your hands with plenty of soap and water, and don't share things with other people like make up, drinking glasses, etc. In short, use common sense. And don't panic when the news media makes it sound like something out of a Stephen King novel!

It did not quite get to freezing last night. But it was still plenty cold! It is supposed to get well below freezing tonight. I hope it does, I've sneezed a lot today and I'm getting kind of tired of it! It's been breezy all day and pretty cool, the wind made it feel colder than it actually was. We do have some Fall color, although I was beginning to think that the trees would skip that stage and just go to bare naked!

No comments: