Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday, Catching Up. Veteran's Day.

I hope everyone remembers that it's Veteran's Day. Let's all thank them when we see one. I do if I can. Dad taught me that. I put my flag out this morning, but the wind keeps wrapping it around the flag pole.

Thursday evening, there was a Veteran's panel at Otter's school. The history teacher set it up, there were 6 veterans there. Two were WWII, one was Vietnam, one was 1970's - 80's, one was first Gulf War, one was First Gulf War and current Gulf War. There were quite a few students there, and they seemed to be really interested in what the veterans were saying. A couple of them went into a lot of detail about basic training. I think it opened up a few kid's eyes, especially when the Vietnam vet was talking about the training involving gas masks. The history teacher has the panels every year around Veteran's Day, and we'll probably go next year as well.

Possibly we might get Otter's tulip bed planted today. She is at her friend's house, she's been there since about 5:30 yesterday and when she gets home she is probably going to want a nap. I'm sure that they didn't get much sleep last night, they usually stay up most of the night giggling. But we need to plant the bulbs, so we might try to do that when she gets home. I say try, because it's so windy that it might be more trouble than it's worth.

So far I have not heard anything else from the collection agency. The grocery store had a problem with my check when I bought groceries on Friday, but it might have been because the amount was over $100.00 or because I was getting cash back. Seems like this particular store has to have approval when it's over $100.00 but I haven't shopped there too often so I don't really remember. They did take the check though. When the register didn't like the check the clerk kept pushing buttons to get it to work and her supervisor had to come fix it. And the supervisor told the clerk (loudly) that next time that happens, NOT TO PUSH ANYTHING ELSE! I got the feeling that the clerk has had problems and not followed procedures a few times in the recent past. Maybe because she spent the entire time she was checking my groceries gossiping with another clerk? The supervisor just approved my check and was unable to say why there was a problem since the clerk pushed all the buttons. We went to Sam's this morning (yeah, I know - they are part of WalMart) and had no problem there when I wrote a check. Even though we didn't forge the checks and they are a different account, I'm afraid that we could have problems in the future if the collection agency still shows us as writing bad checks.

I'm going to call the collection agency tomorrow or Tuesday and see if they have any more information for me. They might be closed tomorrow, some places are closed in observance of Veteran's Day.

We rented the movie "Barnyard" and watched it yesterday. It was cute. It was really for younger kids, but I couldn't find anything else that was even remotely interesting so that's what I rented. It's about a bunch of farm animals and there were a few funny spots. But I think that the writers and/or illustrators need to go back to school. Because the last time I checked, boy cattle were not called cows and boy cattle DON'T HAVE UDDERS!

1 comment:

Jan said...

I would have been interested in listening to the Vets myself! I'm sure it was fascinating! My ex husband is a Vietnam Vet and being a former Marine, he has alot of interesting and frightening stories to tell.

Jan