Thursday, March 13, 2008

It's been a very long week but tomorrow is Friday

And I'm very glad about that!

My left knee is beginning to bug me again. It's never really stopped, it's been a problem for several years now but it has been better as I've been losing weight. But today for some reason it's been hurting nearly as bad as it used to when it was at it's worst. So now my plantar fasciatis is worse because I've been walking differently to favor my knee. The pf is a lot better, it just takes a long time to recover from. My knee feels like a strain or pulled muscle, but I don't know what I did to cause it to act up.

Otter is recovered, the bug she had only lasted a day. She went back to school on Wednesday and even managed karate last night. Her coach said that she's progressed enough to join the regular adult class, so starting next week she'll be in the earlier class. It will still be Monday and Wednesday, just at 6:00 instead of 8:00. Of course, she has a dentist appointment Monday afternoon and probably won't make the class. I scheduled her appointment when her karate days were still Tuesday and Thursday, and for spring break so she wouldn't have to miss school.

In my last post, I said I was going to clean out the heater/ac floor vents. Which I fully intended to do. But then I discovered that I couldn't lift the vent covers off without a power tool! Or Bill, but he was at work. Probably Sunday will be the day I tackle that. But I did get a whole lot of stuff done, since I was home with a sick Otter. Just not much of it was on my list.

We also have a possible situation to deal with at school. The same boy is still bugging Otter and this time SHE was punished for standing up to him. You probably already know that didn't sit well with us! I've emailed the teacher about it, we told her that we fully expect Otter to defend herself and that we don't feel that she should be punished for it. When it happened, one of the things that the teacher said to Otter was that she was concerned because the boy is bigger than Otter and she might get beat up. But we think that the teacher was basically using that as an excuse in view of her other comment about Otter's actions.

I informed the teacher that Otter has been in karate for 4 years and is within a few months of earning the Black Belt, and that she's well able to take care of herself. Otter didn't mention that to the teacher at the time because she didn't want to make the teacher any madder, since she was already being punished for standing up for herself.


The teacher's other comment is this: Otter felt like the teacher was telling her that she acts different from the rest of the kids and that she should act like all the rest of them, because the problems are apparently caused by Otter's individuality. Sure, right - watch out for those pigs flying by! Don't let them hit you in the head! Because Otter has not been raised to follow the rest of the herding animals, and she's not about to start now. (I detect just a hint of political correctness in the teacher's comments about acting like the rest of them). Or possibly a teacher who thought that if she said something like that, Otter would suddenly become meek and she wouldn't have to deal with it anymore - as in she can ignore the problem.

I got a very strange email back from the teacher, I think that she was trying to say that the teacher's assistant turned in the report but Otter said it was the teacher herself. I'm not too sure that the teacher actually meant to email me back, it sounded like she was forwarding the email on to someone else and she said that she'd call "the mother" on her planning period - but she didn't call me, so she might have meant the boy's mother.

Watch this site for more updates. I'm sure that there will be some type of fallout on this - or maybe the teacher is hoping that spring break will make us forget about it. And it goes without saying that I had to just about physically restrain Bill, he was ready to go find the principal and/or the teacher herself. He gets a little testy when his daughter is mistreated, but she's a tough cookie and can handle herself.

No comments: