Sunday, March 09, 2008

We're Sprung Forward!

Well, we survived the time change! I don't like this one, it makes the afternoons too fast until I get used to it. Like now for example, it's 5:00 as I type this but it still feels like 4:00. And getting up when my body still thought it was 5:30 even though the clock said 6:30 was not fun either. But we made it to church on time, something a lot of people apparently did not manage! Sunday School had a very light crowd today. I did have to wake the dogs up to feed them this morning, that never happens and won't happen again. They'll adjust to the time change, but it was kind of funny that I had to wake them up for breakfast!
The main thing I don't like about the time change is that it will still be dark when the school bus comes in the morning. But I like having more light in the evenings. It's still easier than when Otter was a baby, it took a few days of adjusting nap times to get her used to the time change.

Otter has been busy today. Among other things, she ran the vacuum. And then the vacuum had to be taken apart so Bill could get the wash cloth out of it! I must say that I have never managed to run over a wash cloth with the vacuum, usually I just have to deal with it being clogged up because of dog hair. I think Otter has topped herself with that one! The vacuum is still working, but the belt had to be replaced because it snapped when the wash cloth was caught on the roller.

Otter's day hasn't all been work. She got a little sewing time in this afternoon and this is what she made:


Otter bought the fabric a few weeks back, they are 12" x 12" and I'm sure that Maggie will claim them as hers immediately. They are very soft and just the right size for the poochie!

This is a closer shot of one of the pillows. Otter's room is vaguely Japanese, or will be when she eventually gets it finished. It's a work in progress, and it's progressing slowly. But she's enjoying the process.

I was looking at the woodpile earlier today. We have used a lot more wood than I anticipated. We are probably down to about a rick (half of a cord), in early December we had about 4 ricks (2 cords). But most of that was from our own trees, and that wood burned fast. Probably because it hadn't had time to age. I don't think we'll need to get anymore this year, but we might buy another rick so it will have time to age over the summer. Bubba and Bubba still have a huge amount of wood for sale up on the corner.

Spring is officially about a week and a half away, but I think it's already here. We could still get a freeze or two, and it's been known to snow into April although rarely. But I think that winter is pretty much done, at least for this area. Of course, I could always be wrong! But trees are starting to bud (what trees there are that didn't fall in December, that is!), I'm seeing insects, we've had several robins and doves and it just feels like it. We'll still have a while to go with cold nights below or near freezing, though. I'm not particularly anxious for spring storms, but I do like spring in NE Oklahoma. It's a pretty time of year. Although I'm really wondering about some of the parks, there was so much damage in December from that ice storm.

I keep meaning to go by Lowe's and see if they have bluebonnets. I might do that this week, one day after work. I called them one time to see if they had arrived yet, but the clerk left a lot to be desired as far as customer service! And intelligence, too. So I'll try to stop by one day this week. Gotta have my bluebonnets!

Before I forget, when Bill met with Pastor David last week he mentioned his previous job experience including pavement marking. (I don't usually say striping because people tend to read that word as stripping, which is a totally different thing!). The pastor was very interested, he wants to get the church's lot sealed and striped this year and Bill more or less agreed to do it. He would rent the equipment, and I hope that there would be a few volunteers to help him. But since I have crew experience (urgh!) I think I would be conscripted to help him. The really fun part is that Otter has never had the joy of having to work on a hot parking lot that's been soaking up the sun all day! She wants me to remind her to run away that day, but if I have to work then so does she! She's not amused. Just wait, you'll probably be able to hear her griping & complaining all the way in S. Texas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pillows are wonderful. Tell her that she did a great job.
I hate the time change also. Someone told me that they heard this may be the last time. Do you know if this is true? Working on a hot parking lot will be educational for her.
Froggy

Jan said...

Hey! Otter did a wonderful job on those pillows! I love the fabric!
We don't change time here so thankfully there was no getting used to any time changes! Whew! It took me a few years to get used to NOT changing time!! LOL
Take care!
Jan