Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Mid Week Ramblings

It's taking me a while to adjust to Otter's new karate schedule, I keep thinking that today must be Tuesday! But I'm not complaining, Wednesday is one day closer to the weekend.


Kind of disheartened by the Texas election yesterday. I really can NOT stand Hitlary (probably not news to anybody!) and I'm really surprised that she did as well as she did there.


I'm also kind of bummed that Huckabee pulled out of the race, but I expected it. I was impressed with his speech. Guess I'll be putting a McCain sign in my yard! Probably more than one, and I'll probably have a couple in reserve since the big thing in this area seems to be stealing signs if they are not for your candidate. Childish, but it happens.


I have three naturalized bluebonnets coming up, and they survived the 6" of snow we woke up to on Monday morning. Also the daffodils are doing great, the ones around the former tree in the front are beginning to bloom and the daffys in the tulip bed are really getting tall. There are several tulips starting to poke through the ground, much to Otter's delight.


I meant to call Lowe's today to see if they have bluebonnets yet, but I think I'll hold off for a day or so. We have another winter storm possibly going to hit us tomorrow evening through Friday evening. We'll see, the forecasters don't have a very good track record but occasionally they manage to get it right. We brought in firewood today, just in case, and I think I'll stop at the grocery store for milk and a couple of things tomorrow.


We were supposed to have rain all day Sunday with it changing to snow late, but it was dry all day. Cloudy and windy, but dry. The 2nd part of the prediction was correct - we woke up to about 6" of snow Monday morning. It was so strange, it skipped Tulsa completely and hit all the surrounding areas to the east, south and west. It was almost like someone drew a line for the snow to fall. We had a lot of ice, it was a horrible drive to work on Monday. Until I hit the Tulsa city limit, then it was dry and perfect! I took Otter to school that morning, and instead of the normal 15 to 20 minutes for me to get to work from there it took me over an hour. Several accidents, including one that happened behind me as I was waiting at an intersection.


The dogs got another mole. I found it in the back yard while ago, judging from the condition it was in I think that they must have gotten it yesterday. They got praise and treats anyway, and they seemed to know why. Maggilicious led me to it, and Frasier was watching us. He perked up when I found it, then they got their snacks. Then Otter and I took the shovel to as many holes as we could find! At least all the ones on the fence line. One hole was about 3' deep, and it was obvious that Magginator was the digger because it was too narrow for Frasier to have made it.


While we were out there, I "replanted" my shepherd's hook that fell over the other day. It has a hook on each side, I put bird feeders on it in the winter and plants in the summer. The dogs excavation work had gotten to 3 of the 4 sides of the pole and it finally fell over. I moved it further out in the yard but it's just a matter of time until they get there!


One of the three Venus flytrap plants we have in the kitchen window is starting to bloom. They are amazing plants. They don't bloom very often in the wild, but ours are well fed and generally bloom every year. Sometimes more than once a year. The plants have developed a unique way to get their blooms pollinated without the bugs getting eaten. The blooms are on stalks that are several inches tall, the actual plants are very low to the ground. Neither of the pictures are of my plants. Just examples.


This is what the blooms look like.

And this is the last thing the fly sees! Although one time, one of Otter's cactus plants caught a fly. The fly was apparently not watching where it was going, because it impaled itself on a pretty large cactus spike!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She pushed some negative campaigning and ads in the last few days in Texas. That is how she won. She also cries when she doesn't get what she wants.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

As of today (Friday), the Texas results are not official. Apparently the caucus votes, which are the ones that count, are not completely counted yet but it looks like maybe Obama will take Texas after all. Which is probably why Hitlary is suddenly trying to get the Florida & Michigan results certified, although at the time of their non-legal vote she didn't seem to care!

Anonymous said...

Many of the caucus didn't finish until the early morning hours of Wed. Ours didn't finish until around 12:45 a.m. The delegates go on March 29 to do the official "voting." Scott is one of the delegates. Froggy