Friday, August 08, 2008

Family Curses


Sorry the picture isn't bigger! I couldn't really find anything that quite communicated the agonizing pain of a migraine. At least, not anything that would not be extremely gory! I did see a picture painted one time, it was done by a migraine sufferer. It was basically a person with a giant screw stuck through one side of their head. And it was a pretty good depiction.
There are a few things that we refer to as Family Curses. One of them is migraines. They are from our mom's side of the family. I've had them, Froggy has had them and possibly Toadly has also. I know he's had cluster headaches, which are related. Migraines are horrible, unless you've had one there is no way to explain just how debilitating they can be. They are about as bad as bad can be.
There were a few things that we did NOT want Otter to inherit. They included: Cravens migraines, our Dad's knees (last name not used on this blog), Cravens teeth. Well, she got the Cravens migrains and Dad's knees. I guess we should be thankful that she did NOT inherit the Cravens teeth. Normally, two out of three is a good thing. But not this time!
However, that does not make her feel better. She's been down with a migraine most of the afternoon. She had the first one about 4 or 5 years ago, and they've been getting worse over time. Which is normal, and she is just in the early stages of the peak years for them if she follows my pattern. Her doctor suggested a combination of tylenol and motrin, but when she's out of tylenol she will just take motrin. And she wants to sleep when she has one.
The knees are not really a bad problem, but they do bother her at karate. Also if she's been on her feet for several hours.
At least she's got good teeth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She has my sympathy. All I want to do when I have one is sleep. At least she didn't get the Cravens teeth, all my kids did. None so far have migraines. Scotter has had some knee problems, but not the other 2.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Count your blessings that they don't have the migraines! And I forgot about asthma, Mom had that also. Which you've had to deal with as a parent, I have to deal with it as a person who has it as well as the parent of one.