Monday, August 18, 2008

Some Monday Thoughts & Stuff

Otter's enjoying 10th grade so far. She has Drama this year, which is what she was hoping for. I think she'll really enjoy that, seeing as she's quite the Drama Queen already. (I'm going to pay for that comment, I know.) They were supposed to get the locker assignments today. Which they did. However, the locks were apparently mixed up somewhere along the line because none of the kids in her class they were assigned in could get their lockers to open. The locks are the removable kind, and somebody goofed somewhere.

There is a beagle asleep in the floor, right behind Otter's chair. When it was getting close to time for the school bus, Maggie was looking out the window. I think she was watching for the bus, she had a very intent expression on her little, furry face and as soon as she saw the bus she flew to the front door. Where she whined and wiggled so much she could hardly stand, and then when she saw Otter she was nearly delirious! She's hardly left Otter's side since then. Frasier is content to sit in the living room, with the new chewbones I gave them today. He's probably got both chewbones, he likes to take things like that outside but the last time I checked they were still inside. He's been busy, however. We have a large plastic barrel that we use to hold coke cans until it gets full. Then Bill takes the cans to the recycling place that buys them. We also put tinfoil in the barrel. We know it's full enough to take down, when Frasier can reach the contents. Two or three times lately, I've had to retrieve cans and clean up shredded foil that mysteriously appears just outside the doggie door from the garage. Frasier is denying responsibility, of course.

I've been doing a little Fenton research. I had been toying with the idea of selling the basket I bought when Froggy was here, the one I got for $3.00 at the thrift store. I have a good idea when it was produced, mid-1980's, and I have identified the artist who signed it. But I could not find the pattern name anywhere. But I asked the Expert on another site, and he identified it as Berries and Blossoms. Thanks, 'Keet! And I think I'm going to hang on to it, at least for a while. I might change my mind later, but I really don't think so. Froggy, since you left I haven't found any more Fenton like that. Just expensive stuff, but no good finds. You need to come back.

It's been mild weather the last few days. Much cooler than normal. It's been nice. We've had some rain, but not a lot. However, we could get rain starting tonight and lasting for a couple of days. So the cactus got brought back in today. They just went back outside yesterday! I probably should just move them inside for the year, but I will have to rearrange my indoor plants and I'm not really in a hurry to do that. My Pear is growing another leaf, I'm putting off re-potting it but I am not going to be able to wait much longer. It's going to need a much bigger pot. Soon. I think that I'm going to look for something similar to the big, pink pot that I got last year (when Froggy was here) which currently has two cactus planted in it. I still would like a cast-iron cooking pot to plant cactus in, but it needs to be small enough that I can carry it since it gets too cold here in the winter for most cactus. I might still buy a cast-iron pot and use it as an outside planter, something I replant each year. But that's just a thought at this point.

I still have a prayer request concerning Virginia's grandkids. There is a court date next week, she and her husband are trying to get legal custody established and I have to say that I am 100% behind them on this. Those kids have virtually been abandoned by their father and even when he did take them they were not safe with him. Long story, but there is a protective order in place against him now. The best thing would be for the custody to be placed in Virginia and David's hands, and for their father to be out of their life. It's a sad situation and the last thing that they wanted, but nobody is surprised that he's abandoned his children. The fear now is that out of spite or stupid macho pride he will contest it or possibly even try to grab the kids. So prayers would be helpful, for all concerned.

I have some other thoughts, but I'm not quite ready to post about them. Nothing to worry about, I just have to get my thoughts in order first. Simplification is a big part of it. I'm just not quite there yet! Toadly would probably say that I'm not all there anyway, but he's not far behind! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine where Otter would get a talent for Drama Queen from, can you?
My animals, especially one of the cats, are all restless and weird, now that one of my kids has moved to college. Another one moves on Wednesday. I hate the empty nest.
I think that you should keep the Fenton basket. It is one of the prettiest ones that I have seen.
Lucky,like Frasier,likes to attack the recycled cans in the back yard. Of course, she likes to chew on everything. The saying in our house is If you leave it down she will chew it. We borrowed the saying from the movie Field of Dreams- If you build it, they will come.
Froggy