Monday, May 17, 2010

It's Just Monday

And it's the first day of Maggie's new sleeping arrangements.  She's now been blocked from the hallway, Otter's room and the rest of the house.  Seems she's decided that she can leave us puddle gifts again.  The first one was Friday evening, we thought that she'd ralphed and cleaned up after herself like dogs will do.  So we put a towel down and then after the carpet was dry, cleaned it with a spot cleaner that I have.  This morning, we realized that she was leaking again.  Because I caught her in the act, several inches away from Friday evening's surprise.  I was going to block the hallway where she could still get into Otter's room, but Otter said that Maggie's been licking the blanket again lately (really licking it, not leaking) and she's tired of having to change blankets in the middle of the night.  So, Otter said to block Maggie from her room and that's what I did.  I don't like it, for one thing it means that Frasier can't keep me company as I blog, but we have no other choice.  We'll see how it works, then she might (if she's very lucky!) get access to Otter's room again.

Bill wants to just put the dog out and leave her as an outside dog, but that's not happening.  For a lot of reasons, not including the fact that she'd be bored & destructive on her own and Fraiser would be bored & destructive on his own.  So well see what happens.

One thing that did happen this evening is that we mowed.  And we weren't the only ones, it seemed like most of the people in the neighborhood were also taking advantage of the lack of rain today and mowing.  It was nice to be outside, it's pleasant and not too warm.  Otter weeded the rock garden - it has very little actual dirt that has gotten between/under the rocks, but there was just enough for the morning glory seeds from last year's vines to fall off and sprout.  They were all over it!  I really don't like to pull morning glories, but they would probably have died anyway because the dirt layer is so thin.

The moss rose that I planted in the fountain turned planter last year has come back.  Sometimes it will, but not generally when it's in an area that gets as much below freezing temperatures & ice as we get.  But it's back and I'm pleased.  The flowers are still planted, when they finally finish and die back they will be pulled because they are definite one-season plants.  And then the moss rose will do their thing, and I hope that they come back next year.  They probably will, if they've survived as cold & icy a winter as we just had, they are probably acclimated.

I've been meaning to get my hummingbird feeders out, but the rain and cool temperatures are probably keeping hummers away for a little while yet.  Probably this weekend, or in the next day or so.  At least one feeder to start, until I see the first bird.  Once one shows up, the rest will follow.  Some years we have a lot of them and some years we don't, but we have had quite a bit of other birds showing up already so I think that the hummers will be here soon.

At least, I hope so.  I'm ready for my hummingbirds!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually have 2 hummers. They have been back for a few weeks now. I am going to buy an electric lawn mower so that I can mow both back and front. Kid3 sys she will help. We had more rain last night so it is still to wet to mow. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday morning.
Does Maggie need to go to the vet? This could be a medical problem.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

No, I don't think Maggie Moo needs to see the vet. I was thinking that at first, but I've been watching her since then and I think she just got away with it the first time and decided that meant it was ok. She's not the sharpest crayon in the box, but she does have her moments.