Monday, May 31, 2010

Last Day of May, Books, Monday

First:  Books!

1.  Bliss to you, Trixie's guide to a happy life by Trixie Kootz, dog as told to Dean Koontz.

2.  Tasty Crochet, a pantry full of patterns for 33 yummy treats by Rose Langlitz.  This was my Mother's Day gift from Bill and I'm working my way through it.  Lots of fun.

3.  The complete book of crochet stitch designing by Linda P. Schnapper.  A review of stitches, not much new but interesting.

4.  Dead Space. This was based on a sci-fi video game and was a book that Otter recommended.  It was actually pretty good.

5.  Chasing the white dog, an amateur outlaw's adventures in moonshine by Max Watman.  Gave it a try, and then gave up on it.

6.  Customizing cool clothes from dull to devine in 30 projects by Kate Haxell.  I think this was also Otter's recommendation.

7.  Bend the rules with Fabric by Amy Karol.  Ditto # 6.

8.  Maus by Art Spiegelman.  This is an animated history of a man's experience with his father who was a holocaust survivor.  It's auto-biographical and is one I highly recommend.  It is excellent.  Just a very well done book.  Otter read it a few years ago and thought I would like it, but I never could remember to request it at the library.  I'm glad I finally did remember.

9.  Kokoro no Te, handmade treasures from the heart by Kumiko Sudo.  Interesting but not anything I want to make.

10.  The rhinestone sisterhood, a journey through small town America one tiara at a time by David Valdes Grenwood.  This was interesting, and I enjoyed it.

11.  Crochet bags, 15 hip projects for carrying your stuff by Candi Jenson.  I didn't find anything I particularly liked in this one, but it gave me a couple of ideas.

12.  Super finishing techniques for crocheters, Inspiration, projects & more for finishing crochet patterns with style by Betty Barnden.  Too many words in the title!  Also possibly a rerun, but I found a pattern I liked.

13.  The big show, high times & dirty dealings backstage at the academy awards by Steve Pond.  History of the Oscar's award show, it was interesting but could have been written better.

14.  Crochet in color, techniques and designs for playing with color by Kathy Merrick.  OK.

15.  Crochet adorned, reinvent your wardrobe with crocheted accents, embellishments & trims by Linda Permann.  Remember what I said about the more words in the title, the less substance in the book?

16.  Batman  (Otter and I keep thinking that we've read them all.  Then we find another one).

17.  Labor of Love, a mid-wife's memoir by Cara Muhlhan.  Not impressed with her as a person.

18.  Batman

19.  Batman

20.  The Telling by Beverly Lewis.  Part 3 of a 3 part series.  Not nearly as good as her earlier works.  Very predictible.

21.  Knit's End, meditations for women who knit too much by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.  Funny, for the most part.

22.  Ortho's all about deck & patio upgrades.  I was thinking about our deck but didn't find anything in this book that I liked.  It had some interesting projects.

23.  Knit & crochet ponchos, wraps, capes & shrugs by Edie Eckman.  Not impressed.  Should have been renamed Mostly knit and very few crochet...

24.  Home Planner outdoor project collection, 113 easy to build projects.  Nothing I liked in this one.

25.  Live from New York, an uncensored history of Saturday Night Live by Tom Shales & James Andrew Miller.

26.  Batman

27.  Start spinning, everything you need to know to make great yarn by Maggie Casey.  No, I'm not going to start spinning my own yarn!  But I enjoyed it.

28.  Batman

29.  So Simple crochet, a fabulous collection of 24 fashionable and fun designs by Melody Griffiths.  A few ideas.

30.  Sweater Quest, my year of knitting dangerously by Adrienne Martini.  I think this would have been better with a different name - 12 months of griping about a specific designer would have been a better title.

31.  Ready made, how to make (almost) everything by Berger & Harothorne.  Interesting projects, but I could have done without the extreme liberalism tree hugging commentary.

32.  Just let me lie down, necessary terms for the half-insane working mom by Kristen Van Ogtrop.  Don't bother.

33.  Crochet with wire by Nancie M. Wiseman.  Not something I want to try, but interesting.

34.  Hooked Jewelry, 40 + designs to crochet.  Again, not anything I want to do but I enjoyed it.

35.  Tunisian crochet, the look of knitting with the ease of crocheting by Sharon Hernes Silverman.  I had been thinking about learning Tunisian crochet but I think I've decided against it.  But the book was good.

36.  Elegant 2 piece sets in thread crochet by Kathryn A. Clark.  Didn't find anything in here.

37.  Batman

38.  Loop D Loop crochet, more than 25 novel designs for crocheters (and knitters taking up the hook) by Teva Durham.  So-so.

39.  Saving Henry, a mother's journey by Laurie Strongin.  I really feel for this woman, she lost a child to an inherited illness that is incurable.  But I really have to disagree with her reasoning behind his death.  He was killed by an inherited illness without a cure - undergoing IVF treatments with the express intent of only implanting the one perfect embryo and destroying the rest is not the way to go.  Those embryos are unborn, human beings and it's still murder, all 90+ of them.

Wow, I didn't realize I read that many books this month!  Also, I didn't capitalize most of the words in the book titles.  My skin is bothering me somewhat today and it's easier if I just type and don't keep hitting the shift key.

Back to the real world tomorrow, the day off today has been nice.  Otter and I had a couple of errands today, including Hobby Lobby.  Bill got out the grill and we had burgers & dogs, which were good but I really think we ate too much.  I know I did.  But we don't do this too often, so I'm not going to complain about it.  But I probably won't have another hot dog for months now, since I had one today.  It was delicious!

OK, now back to the living room with Otter and Bill.  The movie Wall-E is on.  It's cute.  We just ignore the obvious Agenda to it and enhoy the movie as entertainment.  We have to do that quite a bit, actually.

No comments: