Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday! Time to Hit the Ground Running! & A Challenge (EDITED)

Although it's 6:36 am as I start this, I won't finish it until later on today.  Probably this evening.  It's shaping up to be a busy day.

My day started at 5:20, Bill let me sleep a little later this morning which was nice.  Even just 20 minutes of additional sleep is a good thing!  We had breakfast and Bill still had a little time before he had to leave, so he went out to the garage and played with his toys.  He has a tumbler that he uses to polish up small metal pieces such as screws & nails that he uses in the pachinko machines and he had to sift all the polishing medium out to retrieve parts.  Since I had a little extra time myself, I got a pot of Beanie Wienie Surprise made, and put 3 containers in the freezer for Bill's lunches.  I made a pot of soup yesterday, and there are several containers of it in the freezer as well.  There are also a couple of containers of stew & rice and I think I'll probably make chili soon - I'll make extra so it can go in the freezer as well.

Otter is sleeping in herself this morning, I'll probably go wake her up in about 10 minutes.  Then she gets to get her first chore done - it's trash day so she has to get the household trash ready to take to the curb.  She's also going to get the joy of unloading the dishwasher later on, when it finishes the drying cycle and cools down.  She'll have a few chores today, but I'm not going to work her feet off or anything!

We have to get her a new wall charger for her cell phone.  One of the reasons that Maggie Moo was banished from Otter's room is because beagle sized teeth marks suddenly appeared in the wall charger, right at the part that plugs into the phone.  Maggie is claiming to "no nuzzing" but we don't believe her.  Otter's phone is a few years old and the charger is hard to find.  She has a car charger, so the phone is able to be charged, but it's a whole lot easier to have a charger for the house.  We looked at a couple of places yesterday and we're going to have to order the unit we need.  I'll probably see about doing that today.

And I might have to get my phone checked, it keeps turning itself off and then on again.  It did this several months back, it turned out to be the battery needing to be replaced and I think it's probably the same thing now.

Bill took Otter out for a parallel parking lesson yesterday.  That's one that I can't teach her, I can't even parallel park myself.  It just doesn't work with a depth perception problem, which she fortunately did not inherit from me.  However, she still needed the lesson so Bill was elected.  Lucky Bill!  She's a good driver, actually.  Before they left, she told me that it wouldn't be hard because she'd studied the book and knew the procedure.  However, theory and practice are two entirely different things.  As Otter found out!  She needs a little more practice at it, but she should be ready to get her regular license fairly soon.

OK, it's 6:45 now.  Time to go get dressed, make the bed, open the curtain in the bedroom for my plants, water the plants and then get Otter up.  And pet a couple of doggies, then get her phone out of my car (it's charging) and head for work.  Lunch will probably be spent running a couple of errands, including seeing about ordering a new wall charger for Otter's cell phone.  And maybe some other things, depending on how long it takes at the cell phone equipment place.

----------------------------------

It's now just over 12 hours since I started this!  I have continued to run all day long.  Work was busy, but mostly because the younger boss is about to go on vacation so I have a bunch of stuff to do for him this week that would normally be spread out over 2 - 3 weeks.  Tomorrow will be worse, then he'll be out of the office Thursday and Friday, Monday is thankfully a holiday and then Tuesday & Wednesday will be crazed again.  Then he'll be gone for 2 1/2 weeks, so I'll only have the older boy to deal with and he's cool.

I went to the cell phone place about mine on my lunch hour instead of Otter's, and they agreed that I need a new battery.  Of course, they don't have them in stock - never do have mine - and have to order it.  Which could be a day or two before it arrives.  But it's covered under my plan, so I don't have to pay for it.  My phone has been turning itself off and then back on lately, which is what it did the last time that the battery had reached it's recharge end so I kind of figured that it was the same thing this time.  I also ran two other errands on my lunch hour, one of which involved the grocery store and several things that I brought back to work and put in the freezer.  Then I actually remembered to get them when I left for the day.

Otter's phone now has a charger!  After work, I came home and got her and we went to the cell phone repair place recommended by her carrier - she's not on our plan so it's a different company.  After a 45 minute wait, they actually had the part so we were able to buy it without having to order it.  We discovered this morning that the car charger wasn't working, it looks like a wire is loose.  But her phone is now being charged.  While we were out, we also went to a thrift store.  Where we found several books.  No Fenton, crochet related, clothing or pressure cooker finds but we did find lots and lots of books.  Books are always a good find.  So it was still a fun trip.  (EDIT: The phone charger is not the right one.  It fit her phone at the store, but when it was plugged in - after it had been plugged in for a couple of hours - Otter discovered that it wasn't charging the phone.  I checked it and it doesn't fit.  So, we are going back there today (Wednesday) and see about an exchange or return. They have a restocking fee, but I don't think that I should have to pay it since it's not my fault this time. I'll see what happens, but they may get *RHTW and we might wind up getting her a new(er) phone - elsewhere.  We'll see!)

I feel like I've been running all day.  I guess I have been.  I need some chocolate, a glass of wine and maybe a little bit of crochet time thrown in for good measure!

Bill still hasn't met BF, but he did get to talk to him on the phone when he (BF) called for Otter a few minutes ago.  Bill said that BF sounded sheepish, but it took Bill a good 10 minutes to decide that so I really think it was just wishful thinking on Billyboy's part!  Can't imagine why...   :)

OK, I have another challenge question.  This one is easy.  It's actually two parts.

1)  What was your first pet?
2)  What was your favorite pet?

My answers:

1)  Probably tortoises, because I always had them.  Dad always brought them back from Oklahoma to me.  We had dogs and cats, birds, fish, turtles (they aren't the same thing as tortoises), crawdads, lizards...  But tortoises are probably the earliest one I remember.

2)  I've had a lot of pets over the years, and there are a couple of them that really stick out in my mind.  All of them have been loved & special, but some of them have been "more special" if you know what I mean.  The main one from my childhood was my dog, Love.  She was a doxie/? cross.  We never did figure out what the father was, my dad had a doxie (named Schnitzel - as in Weiner Schnitzel) and when we went on one of our summer trips one year, I remember very clearly Dad looking at Mom on the drive home and saying "OH NO! Schnitzel might have come into heat!"  Which meant nothing to me at the time, but then we got home and very shortly had a very round doxie.  So I learned early on just what Dad meant.  Love was one of the puppies.  I brought home lots of stray animals, so I've had a lot of pets!

Email me your answers or comment and I'll post them.

Now I think I'll go put up the laundry that Otter did for me today.

*RedHead TexasWoman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those turtles were not pets!!!!
They were just victims that were used to torture me.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Sounds to me like you have sympathy for the turtles. Which is really odd, coming from you! And they were pets. Mine AND Dad's.

Anonymous said...

I do have sympathy for the turtles. And I still don't want them around me. They did keep the dog interested. Froggy