Friday, May 14, 2010

Today's Post is Brought to You by the Letter "W"

As in wet.  Because it's been raining most of the day and will probably continue for the foreseeable future.  Like through Sunday.  At least.  I heard a weather report on the way home, apparently there is supposed to be enough rain coming down over the next couple of days to cause some localized flooding.  Joy (to quote Otter when she's in a sarcastic mood!).

Well, at least I'll have a full rain barrel.

But it's mid-May and we are still having to wear jackets for warmth.  I haven't had any time to sit out on the deck with coffee and/or crochet at all this year, and I'm ready!

But it could always be worse.

The weather in Tulsa yesterday was unusual, and it also had more tornados that originally thought.  The one in Sapulpa has been rated as an EF2.  The Tulsa hits number between 3 and 5 and there was even one in Bixby, which is a little town that is pretty much right next door to mine.  But none of them were big, and while there was property damage there was no loss of life.  It was a strange storm, none of the usual indicators that a twister is forming, they were just there and then not there.

Froggy had a near miss today.  In San Antonio.  It didn't develop, but I understand it was a very close call - both in development possibility and in distance to her house.  I'm glad that it didn't develop!

There have been other instances of tornadic storms in the SA area.  One time in particular, right after we moved into the house that my parents bought when I was in high school.  I think it was Thanksgiving, but I'm not exactly sure - Froggy, you know when I'm talking about.  It was raining and there was a pretty strong thunder storm.  As the storm was ending, Froggy and I both happened to look out the dining room window which faced the back yard.  And we could see the street behind, there were houses there but we could see over the tops of them and between them to the street.  And we saw what I will never forget.  It was either the end of a Strange, Very Low & Twisty Cloud that didn't quite develop or it was the beginning of a Strange, Low & Twisty Cloud that dissapated within a second or two after we saw it.  (And to the end of Dad's life, I don't think he ever really believed us!).  But we know what we saw.

At those times when SA had "that kind of weather", Dad would suddenly decide that he needed to change the subject of the conversation!  And he refused to ever go back to the subject of "that kind of weather" happening in Texas.  Apparently, it only happens in Oklahoma.  :)  Wish I could have one of those talks with him now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss those talks too.Froggy