Sunday, May 09, 2010

Sunday Tamales!

And plenty of chili to go with them.

My tummy is very happy.  I'll pay for this meal later, but it was so worth it!  Good tamales are very hard to come by in NE OK.  But my tamale source never disappoints.  Tamales covered with chili and a little cheese on top, heaven on a plate.  In Otter's case, it was just tamales - she's not a big chil fan (Texas sacrilege, I know).  I made my own chili recipe (it's on the cooking blog).

It's been a good Mother's Day.  We had intended to go to church, but nobody paid attention to the clock and it was too late by the time we realized it.  But Otter and I did get some thrifting in, we went to three thrift stores.  She found a pair of pants and several books and I found a purse.  Then we went to the library and proceeded to get our combined weight in books.

Then we came home and stuffed ourselves!

It's been a busy week, and the weather has been to both ends of the spectrum - warm early in the week (we hit 90) and now it's almost fall-like.  We've had rain off and on the last couple of days and needed our jackets today.

I started a small crochet project this morning that I will get finished up tonight, it's a carrot.  It's a pattern out of a book I bought quite a while back, not from the book Bill got me for Mother's Day.  I've already made one item from the book from Bill and have plans for other things.  (Pot holder plans, Froggy!)  The carrot just looked like a fun project to make.  Don't have any idea what I'm going to do with a crocheted carrot!  But I'm sure I'll think of something.  I may make a few crocheted strawberries to go with it.

Bill's been working on a pachinko machine refurbish.  There are bits & pieces all over the living room and he's on the business end of a wooden mallet at the moment.  He's making a whole lot of noise.  But he's enjoying himself, and so far there is no blood spilled. :)

Movie Review:  Where the Wild Things Are.  Otter loved the book when she was little and we knew that the movie did not follow the book beyond the special effects (the creatures).  I had heard that if you considered the movie as a seperate story and not as the book story, it was pretty good.  But the reviewer obviously didn't know what he was talking about.  The movie was really a waste of time.  It was badly acted, badly written, and very badly edited.  Don't waste your money, if you haven't already seen it.  It's not worth it.

Bill gets to pick next weekend's movie.  His choice?  The Men Who Stare at Goats.  Somehow, I'm not expecting a serious, dramatic movie!

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

Mmmmm, tamales and chili! We had spicy red beans and rice tonight...not quite chili, but it was good.

Happy Mother's Day to you. :)

Anonymous said...

We got together at Cracker Barrell and I had grilled trout. They really make it great there. Then Kid1's girlfriend had made a carrot cake and we had that in the parking lot for desert. Mom would have loved the parking lot part. Kid3 did not make it, she is in the middle of finals and that is more important.
I did have a great Mother's Day.
I am going to have tamales and chili next weekend.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Yeah, mom would have gotten a big kick out of cake in the parking lot. She was probably there in spirit. It's the kind of thing she would have done and enjoyed.