Monday, November 14, 2011

RHTW

Guess who got to come out and play today?

If you guessed RHTW*, you'd be right.

Specifically, she got to come out and play when I was at the car repair place.

Pretty much as soon as I walked in the door, in fact.  And especially when the mechanic who was at the front tried to tell me that roads are made with a slight rise (crowning) at the center which means the left of everyone who is driving and that would make the car veer to the left (as in, uphill basically).  That's when I let her out all the way.

I told the mechanic that I'd previously owned a construction-related business that had to do with roads and that I knew exactly how roads are made.  He didn't like my answer, because then he had to switch tactics - I do NOT play the dumb female role, and he should have already learned that but I guess he needed a refresher course.  Which he got, by the way.  Upshot is that he grudgingly agreed that maybe, just maybe, there "might" be a problem and that they should probably check it out.

Then he tried to tell me that they were short handed and I might not be able to get a ride to work.  It was 7:20 at this point.  I told him that he had exactly 40 minutes to get me to work and that I was going to wait for a ride, then I sat down in the waiting room.  At that exact moment, another person came in the door to get something done and the other mechanic greeted him.  Their conversation ended with the other mechanic asking if the man needed a ride, and he stated that the owner's wife was on her way and should be there shortly since she always gives rides to people that need them.  Cue first mechanic (mine) to look extremely sheepish and suddenly get the expression on his face which is known as "deer in the headlight" because he realized that I'd just head the 2nd mechanic say the opposite of what he'd just told me.  I just smiled and picked up a magazine.
About 11:45, "my" mechanic called me back and guess what?  I was 100% right and he did not even refer to the fact that he was wrong.  He told me what had been done, although he had to tell me that he wasn't sure I would understand what he was saying.   You probably already know that it was RHTW* who answered him at that point, and informed him that I knew exactly what he was telling me, and that I understood it completely.

After work, I called the shop to get them to come get me and I noticed when the owner's wife got me back to the shop that he was nowhere in sight.  I think he was making a point of avoiding me, which might have been better for his health in all honesty.

And, after all that, I'm not really sure if the car if completely fixed or not.  It's definitely better, but I'm not sure yet.  I did drive it home obviously, but I need to spend a little time driving it and not on the curvy roads I had to take to get home.  So, I'm not sure if there will be another chapter to this or not.

But one thing we do know - except for anything connected with the alignment and their warranty - we are not planning on going back to them again.  It's going to be straight to the Chevy company from now on.  Yes, it will cost more.  But this is honestly one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.  And we've paid a lot.

*RedHeadTexasWoman

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Nightmare! We finally found a good mechanic who is honest. They are few and far between. I've got a plumber coming back for the fourth time for a leak they just don't seem to be able to fix. I decided to figure it our myself - it's the overflow in the tub. Dummies. Tomorrow I fill the tub all the way up, and let them notice the waterfall it produces downstairs.

Otter Mom said...

Good luck with the plumber, we should not have to show people how to do their job!