Sunday, November 23, 2014

My Biscuits Are Burnin'!

NOT.  It's been an interesting day, to say the least.

We tossed around a couple of ideas for breakfast this morning, seeing as how we're almost out of cereal, we're out of syrup and don't like plain pancakes (and I think I'm about of pancake mix) and we are down to just have two eggs.  I'll get to the grocery store soon, I promise!  Anyway, we came up with biscuits and I did have baking mix at least, so I got a batch of biscuit dough ready to go and was about to start cutting them out when I realized that the oven I'd turned on over 15 minutes before was ice cold because it had never come on.  Bill looked at it and decided that the "igniter" (not sure of the actual term) was bad.  It's not a particularly old oven, we bought it a couple of years at least after we moved here in 2004.  I've had no problems with it, when it comes to appliances we tend to get the biggest and best ones we can afford with an eye to not having to replace it again anytime soon.  Bill eventually found the model number (down near the floor, inside the door) and then he had me check it to make sure he'd read it right which means that we both had to get down in the floor!  Harder getting up than getting down there, let me tell you!!  He found the part online and it will be here sometime this week.  It won't be too difficult for him to replace the part.  It's a gas oven because I don't like electric to cook on.
 
But it might not be here in time to use the oven on Thursday.  We had plans to make homemade pizza for Thanksgiving, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.  I can still use the stove (top burners) but Bill's thinking he'll probably be grilling something for Thanksgiving.  Not sure what it's going to be, Otter still has the temp crown and has to be careful about what she eats, she could have managed our thin-crust pizza though.  We have discussed burgers and also steak.  Otter voted for steak, but she'll have to cut hers into tiny pieces if that is what we go with.  I am not getting anything for the meal until Wednesday, if we do go with steak I'm going to get it at an actual butcher shop and see if some of it can be tenderized for her.
 
We did eventually get breakfast and it did include biscuits!  It's just that Braums baked them. :)  I looked online and biscuit dough can be frozen, so I cut the biscuits out and they are in my freezer.  Hopefully, next weekend we'll be able to actually cook them!
 
I just took a rock out of Maggie Moo's mouth.  She was trying to eat it.  Nutball dog!  I was concerned about Frasier earlier today.  He has a tendency to curl around me when he wants to lean on me and sometimes he stands that way on his own, curved.  He came in from the back yard walking curved and it looked like maybe he couldn't uncurve his body.  Also, his right rear leg looked stiff and like maybe he couldn't really use it.  He came to me when I called him, he leaned on me much harder than he normally does and I ran my hand down the right side of his body with just a little pressure.  It felt like his muscles were stiff but theyrelaxed underneath my hand and he straightened out.  He seemed to be walking better after that and he seems fine this evening but we are keeping an eye on him.  He's an older dog and could have a little arthritis.  Bill thought that maybe he'd been snoozing on the hard ground and was just stiff.  He does like to be inside, but he seems to be just as happy to be left outside and will stay outside for hours on end by his own choice.  That may be because of his coyote heritage?
 
I got two rows on Otter's blanket yesterday and one more today.  I've got about half of the skein I'm using now (# 5) and then one more skein after that.  The end is in sight!  The blanket is big enough to be a lap blanket for me now but I want it to be bigger.  Otter isn't picky, she's just glad I'm making it for her.
 
Speaking of Otter, she brought the car and her laundry this afternoon.  She works tomorrow but I'm going to pick her up and get her to work, then I'll get her after work and drop her back at her apartment.  Bill wants to work on her car tomorrow, the part was in the mail Friday.  Yesterday was cool and slightly rainy, today was supposed to be very rainy (but never was) so he never was able to get the part replaced this weekend.  Tomorrow is supposed to be decent weather for car repair.  I'm going to take it for the oil change it needs on Tuesday, then I'll get Otter after (my) work on Tuesday and she'll bring me home.  Then she'll have the car the rest of the week.  While her laundry was in the washing machine, we went to Goodwill but didn't find anything.  While her laundry was in the dryer, we cleaned out the rest of the pile in her old room.  There is still just a little bit to go through, that will be done on Thursday.
 
Also on Thursday, the tulips will be planted.  The plan was to do them last Sunday but that was the day it snowed.  Then we planned on Tuesday or Wednesday but I was sick.  Then we planned on today and I am better, but I haven't quite gotten back up to 100% yet and was tired out just from doing my own laundry, dishes and vacuuming the living room so the planting day has been rescheduled.  I don't have a problem with planting them on Thanksgiving.  It just needs to be done and done soon.
 
Now I just hope that the microwave holds out!  It first acted up about a year ago, then it started acting right so we never actually replaced it.  But it's starting to act up again.  It is definitely going to be replaced this year, I'm just hoping to wait until slightly closer to Christmas because there are generally pretty good deals on that sort of appliance then.  Just in case, I'm not planning a whole lot of meals that have to be microwaved this week since the oven is out of commission.

No comments: