Sunday, November 16, 2014

They Actually Got It Right!

It snowed.  They got it right! Start time, duration, coverage and amount.  Which might be a sign of the apocalypse!  The point is, we got snow and no ice.  The ground was warm enough that it melted on streets but cold enough that it stuck on lawns and grassy areas.  Otter had the car, she got to work fine but it didn't start until after her shift started.  When she headed back to our house, it was still coming down but not too bad.  She did have to clean snow off the car, however.  She hasn't really driven in it, and today wasn't really bad conditions but it was still a new experience for her.  She'll eventually have to drive in bad conditions, she does live where we get winter after all.  But I'm not in any hurry for her to have to!

She brought her laundry and we cleaned out a few of her books while it was in the machine.  I took her home, with a detour to Tuesday Morning.  I found the other towel I wanted and a bathmat, finally.  I think the guest bathroom is finally done!  There's still a little work in the guest/craft/YARN room but I've been doing a little in there as I have time.
 
I got two rows put on Otter's blanket today.  I didn't work on it at all yesterday, I had another crochet project so I did get to play with my yarn and even de-stashed a little (tiny, very small) bit!  But my elbow muscles are a little sore today, which is a tendonitis issue, so I'm probably going to take a break from it for a few days.  I don't like it when I have to take crochet breaks!  But it's either a break for a few days or I don't get to crochet for days and possibly weeks if I push through and keep doing it.  So, a break it is.
 
Meatloaf is in the oven at the moment.  I made pinto beans yesterday, we'll have some of those with the meatloaf and I'm going to make brown gravy - yes, Froggy, it is Pioneer brand!  We had discussed Bill's Famous Mashed Potatoes but decided against them tonight.
 
I have been reading the Stephen King book, Dr. Sleep, this week.  It's the sequel to The Shining which was tremendous (the book, not the movie - the movie was typical of King's books that are turned into movies:  completely different and frankly not that good.)  It's really good and I enjoyed it.  But it's a little different than most of his books.  It's slower paced and the action scenes are a little less, as well as not as intense.  But it was still good and I am glad I finally got a chance to read it.  But there is one other difference:  it has an actual happy ending!  That almost never happens in his books, while specific characters might have better endings than most, very often the main character dies or doesn't have a happy life afterwards but this one has the stereotypical "happy ending" and it was a nice surprise.  This book is on my "to buy" list, I borrowed it from someone.  When Otter cleaned out her books, all her Stephen King books became mine (but she has visitation rights) and she had quite a few.  I'm thinking that I'm going to attempt to collect all his works.  For the most part, Stephen King is an author that you either really like or really dislike.  Obviously, we like him.  But his best work, in fact probably my all-time favorite book, has to be The Stand.  It's also the only one that really worked on film, and that's because he controlled everything to be sure it was done right.  It showed.  I just might have to watch the mini-series again, we have it on dvd.  When I have a couple of days to do nothing else!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im one of those who don't like Stephen King books. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I didn't think you were a Constant Reader. (That's what he calls his fans.)