Monday, October 04, 2010

Ripples

Wow.  This is my 910th post!  One of my blog buddies mentioned that she'd hit 900 and I got to wondering when I might get there.  I was expecting it to be a long way off still.  But I just looked and this is # 910.

Guess I have a lot to say. :)

Otter's better today.  She stayed home from school, which is what I expected.  I am glad that she decided to, even though a sinus infection has nothing to do with lungs anything at all that is upper respiratory can have side effects which can trigger asthma.  She spent most of the day on the couch with her blanket & pillow and a beagle.  She's been pouring down the fluids, which she needs to do because of the antibiotic.  She thinks that she'll feel well enough to go back to school tomorrow.

I know I still haven't posted my September book list.  I meant to do it yesterday, but yesterday got kind of crazy (as my post title inferred).

Among other things yesterday, I transplanted my bluebonnet babies.  There was another one coming up so there are 6 total.  I have two pots with two each and then two pots with one each.  I didn't have enough pots and potting soil to plant them each seperately but they should be ok.  The were a little limp after transplanting, which is normal, but I watered them and left them alone after that.  They look much better today, very straight and healthy.  I'm hopeful.  My nearly 94 year old boss (Sunday is 94 for him) is also a Texan and he couldn't believe that I have bluebonnets in October.  I am going to take one of the pots in to the office, probably a double, when they get just a little bit bigger.  It would be great if they would actually bloom.  They look good and I'm hopeful.

Froggy, the title is inspired by crochet today.  Specifically, I have a ripple pattern afghan that Mom made in shades of blue.  It's a pattern that is easy and looks fun; I've been wanting to make one myself and then I remembered that I had the one Mom made.  You may or may not remember it, Froggy.  I need to get pictures taken and posted but I haven't gotten that done yet.  Anyway, I got it out of the chest that holds our blankets - once I got Bill motivated to take the two pachinko machines off of the top of the chest that is!  I remember when Mom made it, I really enjoyed looking at the details and seeing how good her work was.  I found where she ran out of the dark blue color and couldn't get the exact one anymore but had to continue with a slightly different shade.  I remember when she bought the yarn, I don't remember if she had a pattern that called for a specific amount of yarn or if she came up with the color scheme on her own.  It's a royal blue with a blue/white variegated yarn.  I have a pattern for a smaller size afghan that has the amount of yarn needed, but I'm thinking that I'll probably make mine a little larger than my pattern calls for.  Which means that I'll have to guesstimate on the amount of yarn needed.  Not sure of color or color combinations or even when I'll start, but it will be my next big project.  Aside from Bill's blanket, which is an ongoing project as it uses spare bits of yarn.  I'm just glad that I have such a large piece that Mom made.

It was 38 degrees this morning!  I'm so glad that I got my bluebonnet babies transplanted yesterday.  The trees will start to turn very soon, usually they start as soon as we have a few cold nights.  I'm probably going to be using that blue crocheted afghan quite a bit in the near future!

And it will be warm.  In many ways and not all of them physical.  Froggy, I bet you know exactly what I mean although in your case it's a quilt with birds & flowers embroidered on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the afghan mom made. I think at one time she had it on the back of her couch. I had/have(/) one that was done by Helen. I will have to look for it. I think it is in the sewing room on one of the shelves. I know what you mean.
Froggy