Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Wednesday Stuff. September Books. Whatever Else I Think Of.

Still thinking about ripples!  I've about decided that I'm going to follow the pattern I have as far as size.  That way, I know how much yarn I'll need.  Yarn is sold in different weights, or sizes, and I'm probably going to be needing a lot for this project.  So I'm most likely just going to order it from the manufacturer, which will probably be Lion Brand as it is my favorite.  I'm leaning towards green shades but I'm not quite there yet, it could become some other color entirely.  It won't be blue, since that's what Mom's is.  The pattern I have makes an afghan that is 40" x 60" or thereabouts, depending on the yarn weight.  Also, the crochet hook size will have an effect.

September books:

1.  High on Arrival by MacKenzie Phillips.  I think I read another book she wrote a few years ago, this one is considerably more detailed.  If what she says is true, and it probably is, it's no wonder that she grew up to have as many problems as she has.  This one was better than Valerie Bertinelli's book, it was still a tell-all but not as much of a "braggy, look at me" as Bertinelli's.

2.  Normal Rockewell's Boy Scouts of America.  Wonderful art!

3 - 9.  Batman, assorted.

10.  Up 'Till Now by William Shatner.  Autobiography.  Interesting.

11.  The Art of X-Men the Last Stand.  X-Men is a movie series that we enjoy, not into the comic books as much but the movies are good.  Otter especially liked this one, it had several pictures of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine!

12.  Batman

13.  Homicide Special, a Year with the LAPD Elite Unit by Miles Corwin.  I think I've read other books by this author.  He writes true stories and this one was very informative.  Part of the time he was researching this covered the time period including the actor Robert Blake's arrest on the murder of his wife.  When the news first broke about her murder, I wasn't sure that he did it.  But after having read this book, which is very well researched & detailed, I have to say that my opinion has changed.  OJ is not the only person who literally got away with murder.

14.  Vintage Vavoom - Romantic Decorating with 1 of a Kind Finds.  Absolutely nothing in this one.

15.  Stitch Style, 20 Knit & Crochet Patterns - Hats.  18 knit, 2 crochet and none of them were unique.  Waste of time.

16.  Crochet Edgins and Trims, 150 Stitches by Kate Haxell.  Rerun, I think.

17.  Kyuuto!  Japanese Crafts, Amigurumi.  I didn't find anything I wanted to crochet in this one.

18.  Disney Pixar Toy Story 3, the Essential Guide.  Of course we all enjoyed this one!

19.  Hannah's List by Debbie MaComber.  I only read this one because it was supposed to be part of the Blossom Street series.  It was just barely part of the series and it was a struggle.  I managed to finish it, but it was tedious.

20 - 22.  Batman.

23.  No Redneck Left Behind by Jeff Foxworthy.  Funny!

24.  Brotherhood of Warriers, Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in one of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units by Aaron Cohen & Douglas Century.  Usually, a lot of words in the title is a bad thing.  But not in this case.  I highly recommend this one to anyone and everyone, and I have one comment:  ISRAEL DOES IT RIGHT.

25.  Manhatten North Homicide, the True Story of One of NY's Best Homicide Cops by Thomas McKenna and William Harrington.  This one was enjoyable, also a true story.

26.  The Fever, How Malaria Has Ruled Humankind for 500,000 Years by Sonia Shah.  Interesting, not particularly well-written by informative.

27.  How to Really Stink at Work, A Guide to Making Yourself Fireproof While Having the Most Fun Possible.  Jeff Foxworthy is always funny.

28.  Working Fire, the Making of an Accidental Fireman by Zac Unger.  This one is a true story, and it's very good.

29 - 30. Batman

31.  Comic Art Propaganda, a Grphic History by Federick Stromberg.  Interesting.

32.  Killing Willis, from Different Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted by Todd Bridges with Sarah Tomlinson.  He's another example of a rough childhood and it's a miracle he survived at all.

Otter seems to be recovered from her sinus infection.  She's on a very strong antibiotic and has one more day of it.  I've been fighting allergies for the last few days, they've been really bad this week.  Otter's having allergy symptoms, but it's "just" allergy this time.  Which is a good thing, because she really felt cruddy while she was dealing with the sinus infection.

We are officially done with the refinancing of our house, we signed all the closing paperwork yesterday.  There are always a lot of details involved with any type of home financing, even when it's a refinance.  But all the details are done and we are through!  We had a 30 year mortage originally, we had 25 years remaining but we refinanced to a 15-year mortgage.  Glad it's over and done with.

We've been having a mosquito problem.  We think that they are coming from our "favorite" neighbor.  She has a couple of water features that were put in when she did her recent major overhaul.  We have a more than sneaking suspicion that some of her water features involve standing water, or at least she's not using any fountains, pumps, etc. with them.  The skeeters seem to be coming from her direction.  We've checked, and they are not in the rain barrel this time.  Plus we don't have any standing water anywhere.  She does, and possibly lots of it.  I'm going to see if there is a place we can report it to, if nothing else maybe there will be some spraying done.  I am not a fan of the spraying, it's a chemical that bothers us.  But the bugs are bothering us more.  We can't even spend any time out in the front yard or even in the garage if the door is open.

Is it Friday yet?  Why not?!  It should be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Hannah's List.
I have a book suggestion- The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas.
Froggy