Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday Sunday

Just Sunday today!

Bill replaced the faucet in the kitchen this morning.  The one that was on there was probably the original from when the house was built and it was just wearing out.  Bill was given a newer one and he put it in this morning.  Works fine, no leaks.  Which is really all I care about.

It's Sunday, so I'm doing laundry.  So much fun! (Heavy on the sarcasm here).

Otter's gone off with BF today.

Bill's probably going to go deliver an overhead projector or two that he sold sometime this afternoon.

Really exciting day, huh!

We're watching a spot on Magginator's head.  We first noticed it yesterday, it kind of felt like a bb under her skin just at the base of her ear.  Given the (family**) history, a bb would be the natural thought that springs to mind.  But it's getting bigger and doesn't seem as hard as it did at first, so I'm thinking that she might have a cyst coming up.  We're going to keep an eye on it, but they are going back in to the vet this week anyway for normal stuff and we'll ask him to look at it then.


It's at the base of the ear that is flapped up in this picture.  It doesn't show very well, but it's sort-of behind the lighter spot at her ear.  The white spots are her normal coloration.



Although this picture is blurry, it's visible.  The white spot at the base of her ear is just above it - there is a lighter tan area in her fur and that's where the spot is.  It doesn't seem to bother her, she's just as bouncy as normal - although in these pictures she was dozing off for one of her many naps!  She was just about asleep, but she opened her eyes just enough to see what I was doing.  And then she closed them and went to sleep.  After a while, she woke up.  Then she moved to another spot, curled up and went back to sleep.

**Family history about bb's:  A few years ago, I saw a doctor about my left knee.  That's where I was told that my knees were just getting bad and that I didn't have many options beyond surgery.  Also, I was told to avoid surgery for as long as I could because of my relatively young age and the fact that the type of knee problem I have does respond to surgery but that it would gradually get worse again, and I'd be looking at probably needing surgery again in about 10 years.  So I'm putting up with it.  However, an x-ray revealed that I have what is very probably a bb a couple of inches above my left knee.  It's probably been there for years and years and will probably never cause me a problem, it was just something that showed up on the x-ray and has nothing to do with the knee issues I have.  The doctor said that what most likely happened is that when I was kid, someone was shooting a bb gun and one of them hit me.  He said that because bb's are small, it's quite possible that I never even knew I'd been hit.  And since I grew up in S. Texas, bb guns were pretty much a fact of life and most boys had them.  It was a few years after we'd moved to OK, when I found out about it.  I jokingly told Dad about it and told him that I had decided to blame Toadles for it.  My brother was already away in the Navy when it most likely happened, I don't really think he did it - it just makes for a good joke.  But Dad apparently took me seriously and he was a little upset with Toadles for a while!  Sorry, Toadles. :)

The rest of the bb story is that Frasier does have one under his skin, on his head and it's probably been there for years.  He could well have been mistaken for a coyote at a distance and shot at.  The vet said that since it doesn't seem to bother him, it can be left alone but if he ever has to have surgery or anything where he has to be anesthetized, it can be taken out then.  Unless that happens, it's just there and we don't worry about it.  Frasier's main concern is a) his belly and getting it filled, b) getting his chin scratched and c) getting the required hours of sleep.  And he probably thinks about cats a lot.  Maggie doesn't necessarily think about cats, but her priorities are about the same.

Back to my laundry now.   Urgh.

Before I forget, this is what the sky looked like this morning.  I think it was about 7:30.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you take the pictures from? They are beautiful. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

They were taken from my back deck. I had to aim over the fence.