Thursday, November 29, 2012

Aw, Nuts!

One of the field guys at work sells pecans this time of year.  He picks them himself, I don't know if the orchard is his or a family member's but they are papershell pecans.  They're very good.  But then, pecans are special to TEXANS.  I ordered 5 lbs and he brought them this morning.  My two bosses also ordered 5 pounds each, so he delivered a 15 lb. bag and I split it up.  Then I shelled part of the teenager's portion for him.  They came pre-cracked, so it was relatively easy to shell them.  I brought ours home and Otter promptly claimed them all!  She has to share them, although she probably would prefer not to!  Half of the pecans are in the deep freeze, the other half is in the house freezer but I'm sure that they will not be in any danger of going bad before they get eaten.  I just kind of have that feeling for some reason.  :)

Anyway, I have a pecan pie in the oven now.  Karo Syrup changed their recipe slightly, it used to call for heating the butter/syrup/sugar on the stove then adding the vanilla and stirring until the sugar was dissolved.  After that, the pecans are added and it's all poured into a 9", deep-dish frozen pie crust.  (I don't have the pie crust gene so I use pre-made frozen ones).  Now, it's all just stirred together although the butter is melted (and I think it now calls for less butter than before) and when the sugar is dissolved (takes a while, stirring it by hand like that) then the rest of it is the same.  I decided to follow the revised recipe, at least this time.  We'll see how it turns out.  The pie is not going to be eaten until at least tomorrow night, it takes several hours to cool - unless Bill wants to consume what is essentially molten lava with pecans in it.  I also bought cool whip.  Vanilla ice cream works good on it, too.

Here's a little T & T Thursday:  The UN needs to keep it's nose out of Israel's business!  I do sympathise with the Palestinian people, but the Book states clearly what is Israel and what isn't.  It also clearly states what will happen to Israel's enemies.  The land is Israel and the Jewish people are the chosen people of God.  Don't believe me?  Read the Book!

I have a prayer request.  A friend's daughter lost her baby yesterday.  It was her second child, she has an adorable little boy.  But they are still mourning the loss of a child and prayers would help them.

Otter has 2 weeks and one day left of the current semester of college.  She's looking at her options, since this was her "think about it" semester but I think she's probably going to continue with college at this point.  It's her decision to make, we'll support whatever she decides to do and she'll make the right choice for herself.  We can only give her guidance in this, it's one of those decisions she has to make for herself.

She's also got two weeks until the oral surgery.  Bill and I have 3 weeks of work, then I have a week & a half off in a combination of vacation and holiday.  Bill will have two weeks off in holidays and then he's taking another week off after that for vacation.  Otter will have two or three weeks, I'm not exactly sure when the next term starts because I think she's going to go back.  (See previous paragraph.)

I'm just glad that tomorrow if Friday.  It's been a busy week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We bought some local pecans at the Christmas Stroll in town yesterday. they are shelled.
How did the pie turn out? Pecan pies have always been to sweet for me. They make my mouth hurt.But that may not be the story to much longer.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

The pie was pretty good, actually. You won't have to worry about sweets hurting your teeth for much longer!