Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Mixed Bag

We did get snow this morning.  Not nearly as early as was forecast, not as much and not as long lasting as it could have been.
 
It was supposed to start around 1:00 a.m, but as of 6:00 when Bill was getting ready to leave for work it was just starting.  By the time I left for work a little before 8:00, it was starting to really come down.  By noon, it had just about quit.  The streets were warm enough that it didn't stick although it looked like it might at first.  It's pretty much gone now, but it was pretty.
 
Before I left for work, I refilled three birdfeeders and put them out in the back yard.  Very shortly after that, my back yard was filled with birds.  Literally filled, as in PROBABLY OVER 1,000 BIRDS.  At once.  Several varieties.  2 or 3 different kinds of sparrows, yellow & red winged blackbirds, "regular" blackbirds, some starlings but not that many, a lot of other birds and a few purple martins.  Martins don't eat seed, we think that maybe they thought the other birds were finding bugs and decided to join the party!  It was honestly like something out of a sci/fi movie.  I'm not exaggerating, it was probably well over 1,000 birds.  They would take off every so often and return, the sound of their wings was amazing.  They would fly up to the trees then fly back to the yard.  Needless to say, the feeders got emptied almost immediately.
 
I am going to refill the feeders in the morning if I have time before taking Otter to work and then heading to my office.  I don't think we'll have today's unusual occurrence again, but if we do I will make sure that Otter's got her camera.
 
Tonight will be in the teens, tomorrow will be cold but Thursday could well be another winter storm and considering that tomorrow night will probably get to 6 degrees anything we get Thursday morning could be around for a while.
 
I went to the grocery store for milk tonight, because I would be needing it by tomorrow evening.  Otter and I finally made our trip to Target, the one we started out for on Sunday.  Took us a few days, but we finally got there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bad groundhog. I don't want 6 more weeks of winter. We have another chance of ice and sleet in the next couple of days. I am ready for spring. Froggy