Thursday, February 06, 2014

Otter Tales

Otter is having a sick day today.  She was fine when she got up, because of the weather Bill isn't driving the El Camino this week so I've been her transportation to work.  About 10 minutes before we were supposed to leave, she started to feel bad.  She had a great deal of sinus pressure, no fever or body aches but lots of pressure.  She wasn't sure if she would be able to go in but she wanted to wait a little bit and see if she felt better.  So I texted my boss that I would be late and Otter had a 30 minute nap.  When she got up, the sinus pressure had increased and by this time she was beginning to feel actual pain in her sinus cavities.  Which generally means a sinus infection.  Otter's only had one before in her life, she doesn't seem to have inherited the "family nose" that I got from Mom.  Actually, it's the sinus cavities that are the problem and not the nose but Otter doesn't have it and we're glad.  I've had more sinus infections that the law allows!
 
 
(I thought that was funny).
 
It started snowing overnight, not a lot but enough to be slightly messy and it was very cold.  I called Bill to let him know, then I bundled Otter up and it was off to the doctor next.  We went to the walk-in clinic we use, we don't even try anymore to get an immediate appointment with our doctor.  There are never openings, even when I had that major nosebleed years ago the only appointment I was offered was several days later - even when I told them that it was a serious nosebleed and I thought it was an emergency.  I went to the same walk-in clinic then as well.  We don't usually have to wait at the walk-in, today we did have to wait but it was because they were very busy.  The doctor said he'd been seeing lots of sinus infections the last couple of days, and there was at least one person that was having stitches according to the nurse.  The verdict was the sinus infection we thought she had.  She had already called in to work, before we went to the doctor.  She got an excuse for today and the doctor told her not to go in tomorrow but she was already off then.  The Walgreen's we use is down the street from where she works, so we stopped at her store and she went in to turn in the excuse.  Her boss told her that it won't be a problem for her to be off today.
 
After we got her prescription for amoxicillin filled, it was close to noon and she wanted something hot for lunch.  Bill was on his way home by this point, so we stopped at Little Ceasar's and I got a couple of their hot & ready $5.00 pepperoni pizzas.  After she ate, Otter took her pill but the pills are so big that I think they could choke a horse!  Bill split it up for her, the rest will probably have to be split as well.  She takes them for 10 day, if she's not better in 3 days then she'll need to go back but we caught it pretty early.
 
Bill's off tomorrow, he'll stay home and play with pachinko machines.  Actually, he's going to be working on the current machine he's refurbishing.  I had planned on going in after the doctor, if it was early enough.  But it was after noon when we got home and it would have been just for a couple of hours if I had managed to get to work.  But it was a slow day, I'm pretty much always caught up.  Since we were expecting weather issues today, I was doubly sure yesterday that I had nothing that couldn't wait a day or so just in case.  I did get to Wallyworld briefly, I needed to get dog food and was going to do that on my lunch hour today.  I also got something like 14 containers of yogurt.  Most is for Otter because of the antibiotic, but I'll eat a little of it too.
 
I put another row on the afghan while Otter was having her short nap this morning.  I might get more done on it this evening.  It's a blanket and it's a wonderful project to work on, on such a cold day.
 
 
(I keep having to tell my bosses that it's not hard!  I crochet a lot on my lunch hour, they usually rubberneck and think it's hard.  It isn't!)
 
We did get snow, but not much.  We had some flurries off & on today.  There is still some on the roads in places, but not everywhere.  We got into the high teens today.  Tonight will be very cold as well, and we have another round of winter weather on the way for tomorrow.  And next week as well.
 
 
(The REAL Dr. Who!)
 
I'm thinking that we could probably get a couple of pairs of shoes out of that groundhog after we eat him!

No comments: