Monday, January 28, 2008

It's Monday! A New Day!

Just miscellaneous ramblings today.


Yesterday was a momentous day in Otter's life. We bought her first formal dress! She's going to the spring formal at school, all the girls in her "group" are going together since none of them are allowed to date yet. Otter wanted a long, purple formal with spaghetti straps and we did look but the only ones in purple she could find were either "old lady" style, way too big for her or too "adult" in style. So she branched out. She finally settled on a short formal after trying on a few, but it's very pretty. It's black satin, has spaghetti straps and has a chiffon-type drape at the top which goes around the entire dress and flows down the back a little bit. There is just a hint of tulle netting that shows at the hem, it's just to her knees. She is thinking about a sheer scarf type wrap to drape over her shoulders. Shoes, jewelry, hairstyle and make up to be determined later but the shoes will have heels. It's funny watching Bill realize that his little girl is growing up! I didn't think we'd find a dress this soon, but we were lucky and it came from a consignment store so it was a very good deal. I think I'm going to take it to the cleaners pretty soon, so I won't have to worry about that later.


I see that Teddy Kennedy has endorsed Obama. Frankly, I think that is hilarious! Although he's really disgusting, Teddy is very powerful in his party and his endorsement means a great deal. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at Hitlary's house when she heard about it! Bill made a comment that Hitlary is campaigning as if she's running against George W. Bush. I have to say I agree with him, and I've heard a few other people make similar comments. I guess that's easier than campaigning against her real rivals? Kind of reminds me of her husband's tactics.


It's no longer Limbsville in my neighborhood! The piles of tree limbs that have been decorating everybody's yards were here this morning when I left for work, but they vanished sometime today. Hooray! It will be nice to not have to worry about not be able to see when I pull out of the driveway now. The city said that they would post signs at the entrance to each neighborhood informing the residents when they would be out, and according to their published shedule we shouldn't have been on their route until March. But I'm not complaining! My yard looks so strange now that all those limbs are gone, and with the trees gone it really looks different. Well, at least we'll have grass in the front yard now!


Poetic justice: Frasier was running around the yard and as he was picking up speed for his final dash into the house, he tripped in one of his own holes! He popped right back up again and ran inside, but it was funny. Of course, now I can't tell that I ever ran the vacuum today because he left me a trail of doggy prints across the carpet. He's currently curled up on his blanket having a snooze.


It was supposed to rain this afternoon, and it might but nothing yet. It's been very windy today, I half way expected to see the Magginator flying off with those long ears of hers! Today was forecast to be in the 60's, but with the wind it felt much cooler. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold, and I think we have a good chance of snow by Thursday. Well, we have plenty of firewood!


The people who sell firewood are having a lean year, there is so much of it piled up at the place where we've bought it from before that it almost looks as if Bubba and Bubba are building themselves a fort! They've also dropped their price considerably. Bill thinks that we should buy a load from them, to have so it can age over the summer since the green wood we have is burning so quickly and also because they don't seem to be selling much - if any.


I think I'm going to make some changes to my rock garden. We're going to take the fountain out of it, the fountain is going to be moved around, somewhere out in the yard most lilkely and it will be turned into a planter. I'm thinking something like moss rose maybe, I want something that will drape and be colorful. Then I'm going to get a large rock to put where the fountain used to be. I'm thinking a very LARGE rock. Maybe a limestone, I'll decide on the actual rock later on. Of course, if a certain sister of mine would admit that the rocks are MINE or at least that it's my turn per the shared rock custody agreement, I wouldn't have to go to the expense & trouble of finding a rock! Bill seems to think that he has a voice in the rock choice, don't know where he gets that idea from! :) I'll eventually post pictures, but this is a summer project so it's going to be a while. For one thing, we'll have to get all those dog craters filled in first.


I've also noticed that the daffodils are beginning to break through, they are in the tulip bed and they always come up about this time. No sign of the tulips yet, but I kind of expect them to be early this year since we haven't had a lot of real cold weather. If the ground is warm, they will come up sooner. We've had cold weather, just not consistent or long-lasting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to come and get the rocks, if you can find them when you get here. Dad always said that possesion is nine tenths of the law. I have them, therefore they are mine. You had your chance when you were here. I can't help it that you had no room in the car.

Otter Mom said...

Ok, then I guess the cow is mine since I have posession of it.

Jan said...

Oh...I can remember buying the first formals for my girls! So much fun! You MUST post a picture! It doesn't have to be of Otter wearing it if you prefer not to do that...but take a pic of it on a hanger and show us!! I'm such a girl. *sigh*

Jan