Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Like really cold. As in we barely made it into the 20's, and it's the very low 20's at that. We could get as low as 6 degrees tonight. It's so cold that just going from the front door to the car is a problem for me, since I have cold-induced asthma. I've had to be outside a lot more than I wanted to today, and I am paying for it now. Froggy suggested I wear a mask when I'm outside, but they don't fit right because of where they hit on the bridge of my nose. I broke it several years ago. I have a very warm coat, so glad I bought it, lots of gloves and a nice, long scarf I made - Otter calls it my Dr. Who scarf. But I'm really regretting my dress/skirt only decision as far as work clothing! I have tights & hose, and socks as well as several pairs of boots. But this is the bitter cold that gets past all that. I don't like it! Yes, Froggy - I can already hear Dad. He usually recited his "move back home to TEXAS where you belong" speech in the spring time, but winter weather could occasionally get the speech. Although when it was snowing here, he usually said I was lucky.


We had snow this morning, but the wind blew it all away. So now it it just cold, but it doesn't really look like it. It's miserable outside. Frasier and Maggie were probably curled up in the garage all day, they didn't feel cold when I got home. But Maggie was absolutely crazed, when she saw me coming into the garage. She was manic. I let them in immediately and they have been inside ever since. Frasier is curled up at my feet and Maggie is probably back on Otter's bed, she is getting pretty good at arranging the blankets to where she gets covered up.


One other side-effect of the cold, dry weather. Lizard skin! I probably should buy stock in a company that makes lotion or chapstick. I seem to be using a lot of it lately.


On a lighter note, Otter and I are going prom dress shopping Sunday afternoon. I called around, a couple of places said that they only have a few but they do have them. Penney's said that they actually have quite a few, so we are going there first. Then, depending on our luck there, most likely to Otter's favorite jewelry & accessory store to use up her gift card on jewelry, etc. to go with the dress. Shoes aren't a big problem, since they have to take them off at the dance anyway. She's got several pairs of dressy shoes but I'm sure she won't mind if she "has" to go shop for more! She's her mother's daughter, after all. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could wear pants when it it is this cold. It could be done as a health concern.
Yes I am sure Dad would be saying "move back to Texas." It is going to
be 36 tonight and only in the 40's tomorrow.
Sounds like the dogs have more sense than anybody else. Find a warm place and stay there.
Otter really must have new shoes for the dance. You have to have them when you buy a new dress. Froggy