Monday, January 26, 2009

A Change of Plans

Well, we thought we were going out for our anniversary dinner tonight. However, the weatherman actually got it right (for a change) and it's icy. I stopped at the grocery store on the way in to work this morning and picked up DiGiorno's pizzas just in case. And I'm glad I did, because the winter storm started about 11:30. It was not too bad at first, but it got that way quickly. I had already asked my boss about leaving early if it got bad, I was going to leave about 2:00. At about 1:45, they both called me (they were both gone) to tell me to head on out the door. It took me about 5 minutes to clean the car off enough to drive, mostly just getting the side mirrors cleared of ice. I'm very glad I have the remote start on the car, I could start it from the office and it was nice and warm when I actually managed to get into it.

The roads were just starting to get icy when I left, and I actually managed to stay ahead of it most of the time. I got to school just a few minutes before school let out, and in the 10 or so minutes it took for the bell to ring and Otter to get to the car the weather caught up with me. We stopped at the grocery store around the corner from school - I forgot a couple of things this morning. The store was very busy, lots of people apparently waited until the last minute to stock up. But, like I told Froggy earlier, the Borg Queen is always prepared! By the time we got home, the roads were starting to get icy. The stuff I wanted was not urgent and I would have skipped it if the roads had been worse. But we were nearly out of marshmallows and they are so fun to roast in the fireplace!

The highway Bill normally takes has already been closed. He has a couple of back roads he will take that shouldn't be too bad, although there is one particular bridge that can be a bear. But he is a careful driver, especially in icy weather. It's really more the other drivers that are a concern, some people in this area view icy roads as a challenge and go even faster. The highway was closed because of ice, but part of it had already been shut down because some idiot rear-ended a firetruck that was stopped to help out at an accident. This part of the country is known for it's lack of driving skills.

We let the dogsters in as soon as we got home and they got a treat. Then Frasier curled up on his blanket for a snooze and Maggie went to her, I mean Otter's, bed.

The school district Bill works for has already announced that they are closed tomorrow, and from the way it was worded I think he's also off. I expect Otter's school district to announce but at this point they have not said anything. I'll decide in the morning, we are on the outer edges of our small town and the sand/salt trucks don't usually get to us until very late (if at all).
Maggie said that she might have a blog post next week, it's too cold for her to get her thoughts in order. Or at least that's what it sounded like!
Before I forget, I'd like to wish my blog friend Rhonda a Happy Australia Day! And tomorrow is chocolate cake day, which sounds like a good excuse to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Australia Day is my birthday! I always wanted to visit Australia on my birthday so it would be a giant party for me/australia... maybe someday.