Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Few Thoughts on a Cold Sunday

I'm surprised it's cold. We have a cord of firewood, so it should be unseasonably warm. But it seems to be back to winter, at least temperature wise. The trees are a little confused, some of them are budding. It's sunny and looks warm. But it's actually very cold. No wind, but the air is still at that temperature that my asthmatic lungs do not like. So I try not to stay out too long. It's in the 30's, but not very high. Maybe 35, but that's not saying a lot.

Although I did venture out to the back yard just now. There were a few holes I wanted to try to fill in, holes that weren't there yesterday morning but just suddenly appeared. One big one was the one Otter informed me about that was by the rock garden. It's as filled in as I could get it, but there is still a sunken area. The mole activity has been really strong lately, the dogs are tracking them. I understand that it is their instinct. I just wish that they would give in to their instinct elsewhere!

Froggy, we enjoyed Braum's. This will probably be the last time we'll eat there for a while. We've been helping Grandpa at one of his rent houses, and Braum's opens at 6:00 so we've been having breakfast there about once a week for the last few weeks. It's been a fun break and the food is always good. But it's back to being good for me now, well tomorrow anyway. We still have a dozen tamales in the freezer that we'll eat tonight and I think I'll open a can of chili to go with it. But then tomorrow I will probably be back to my rabbit food.

Rabbit food with my necessary adjustments, that is. Some people without gallbladders can eat just about anything. However, I'm not one of them. I have to be very careful with fat, obviously. But I also can't eat broccoli or mushrooms, both of which I absolutely love. I can have very small amounts of mushrooms if I don't eat them too often. Broccoli is one that I have to really watch out for.

While I was out in the yard, Otter was attempting to get some excercise. She has been taking a break from excercising so we could give her body time to adjust to the claritan. She got out of breath pretty fast, but she didn't wheeze. However, it was very cold and that might have been part of the problem she had. She came back inside and did a few more moves, but she had a beagle that was helping her so she didn't get too much done! She's going to start working out again on a daily basis, and we'll see what happens. But the cold has not been one of her triggers, so the fact that she got out of breath so quickly today might have been the problem she's been having. But she didn't wheeze, so maybe the claritan is helping - or maybe she didn't wheeze because she didn't work out very long. We'll be able to tell fairly quickly, once she starts her daily excercise - which will be tomorrow.

We went to a thrift store this afternoon. Froggy, the one where you got the bag of stuff you bought for Otter and I also think it's the one where she got her Batman shirt when you were here, it's the one where you found me the stuffed Bevo. We didn't find any thing today, but it was fun to go look. We decided against the flea market today. It was so cold that the outside stuff probably wouldn't have been set up, and since we were just there last Sunday we decided to give our favorite vendors time to get new stuff in. Maybe next Sunday. So my kitchen will probably have to wait a while before I find anything new/old to put in it.
But now it's time to get back to my laundry. I don't mind most housework chores, but I really do not like laundry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has gotten colder here too. It has been in the 50's and windy today.
The weather men have been off a lot lately. I thought this was not supposed to be here until tomorrow. Lee goes back to work tomorrow and it looks like a cold rainy drive in the morning. This may make traffic worse( if that is possible) in Houston.
Scott went out in the back yard and discovered that Lucky has eaten my Redbud tree. So we now have to replant that in the spring.
I think that chewing everything in site is just part of being a lab, but not in my back yard.
Froggy