Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Snow Ice Cream

No, we didn't make it this time. We should have put a bowl out yesterday to catch it, but nobody thought about it. The snow is still coming down (it's just after 10:00 a.m.) but I don't think it's supposed to snow all day.

This will probably be a long post, which will be updated numerous times.

We just got the car cleaned off, there isn't much ice with the snow although what has been on the ground since yesterday froze up a little bit overnight. The street looks ok, although I'm sure that there are spots where the roads will be icy.

Otter's birthday party is today, if we had not bought the tickets in advance we would postpone. But we did buy the ticket for the movie early and they can only be used today, and since the roads are not as bad as they could be, we're going to go ahead with her party plans. We'll leave in a couple of hours, which will be a lot earlier than planned, and go pick up the girls. Then when we get to the theater, I'll decide if I'm coming back home or spending a couple of hours in the Target across the street. I'm not sure how much traffic there will be, quite a few churches in the area are closed today because of the weather.


-------------------------------


It's now 2:00. We got the girls a little early, and it was a very full car. The roads were good, just slushy in spots and the traffic was light. I dropped off my flock of chattering birds about a hour before the movie, they were heading for the games as I was walking out the door. I walked them in to check what time the movie was over, and I also carried a bunch of coats & hats out with me. It is pretty cold, the wind is brutal. I nearly froze just walking to the car.


I stopped at Wallyworld to get something Bill needed, and the parking lot was very slushy. I had on my tennis shoes, my leather boots don't have much grip surface so even though they are very warm I don't use them often in winter weather. My tennis shoes got soaked and so did my socks. I walked around Wallyworld in wet, cold shoes & socks. Since it's not slick icy, I'll probably put my boots on when I go get the girls in a little over an hour. Then I'll take the chattering flock to Cici's.

Speaking of chattering flocks, the back yard is full of birds. I never actually got my bird feeders filled (it just did not occur to me Friday evening), so I've been tossing seed out there for them. There are a lot of starlings (vermin!), 2 different kinds of sparrows, chickadees, cardinals (several of each gender) and one very large woodpecker. We've had woodpeckers before, usually the smaller ones. This one was very big and is probably the one we hear in the neighborhood. I have very seldom seen them on the ground like that, he was eating seed with the rest of the birds. But he didn't stay on the ground for long, he was up on the tree and hammering away the last time I saw him.

---------------------
5:45 now! I picked the girls up at the theater, and they were very happy. They loved the movie, and Otter was clearly enjoying her birthday party. I took them to Cici's for pizza and they had a good time there as well. We drove everyone home after that, and Otter now says that she is very tired but that she had a good day and really enjoyed her party. That's what we wanted, for her to have a good time with her friends.
While I was home between theater runs, I did manage to get some laundry done and a little crochet accomplished on Otter's pillow cover. I put some more on Bill's blanket yesterday, it was a good day to work on a blanket because I could crochet and it was keeping me warm at the same time.
The roads are pretty much cleared, there are a (very) few spots that are wet and might be frozen again in the morning, but it's going to be much warmer next week so the snow won't be on the ground much longer. It will probably start to melt tomorrow. This is probably the last we'll see of it until next winter, but I have to admit that I enjoyed this late & unexpected snow. I'm glad it hit on a weekend, when we didn't have to go anywhere and were able to spend the day in front of the fireplace. Today wasn't that bad, the car cleared off easily and the roads were decent. But yesterday was really nice, I much prefer when winter weather coincides with a weekend so I don't have to attempt to get out and go to work!
I posted an entry on the craft blog, it's previous crochet projects. I have several things in the works now that will be posted, when I'm finished - or in the case of Bill's blanket, when I've gotten more done on it because it's a work-in-progress for a long time.
Movie review: Otter had never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind. So we watched it yesterday. She enjoyed it, which we thought she would. And now, she understands references to it from other sources such as tv shows like Futurama and the movie Monsters Vs. Aliens. It is still one of my favorite movies, after all the aliens did use Music to communicate!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures that you posted on your craft blog. Froggy