Tuesday, March 02, 2010

TEXAS


March 2, 1836.

There is some question about the actual date, some people think that Texas indpendence should be celebrated on March 6 - the day we all Remember the Alamo. But we are of the camp that believes it should be observed on the 2nd - the day Independence was declared. Here's an interesting article from the San Antonio newspaper. It has many other things besides the discussion of the date, it's a kind of a long article but worth reading.




Even though there are many places in the State where battles happened, people sacrificed their lives for Freedom no matter where they were. Goliad. San Antonio. The Alamo is the most well-known symbol, but it's not the only one. However, being an Alamo City child myself, the Alamo is the symbol that means the most to me. It is and always will be a sacred place. Many people don't realize that the Alamo is in fact a church - but it's sacred to us for another reason.
I have heard our story called a part of American history. But it really isn't. Yes, Texas is a part of America now. But our story pre-dates our joining (by choice, not by being conquered). And the Texas story is just that - Texas' story. It's not an American story. I just get mildly riled up about it being called American history - some of us are actually enraged to hear that. Yes, we are American and very proud of it. But we are Texan, too and in many people's minds and hearts we are Texan first. Probably most of us feel that way, in fact. (For the non-Texan: riled up is another way of saying we get angry.)
Out of all my Texas related postings, this one is still my favorite:


I can't think of anything else to say, beyond what I've already said:

TEXAS BORN, TEXAS BRED, I'LL BE TEXAN 'TILL I'M DEAD.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep! Froggy

Anonymous said...

My bluebonnets are beginning to bloom. Froggy

Alexandra said...

Pretty! I love Texas wild flowers. Texas has a unique history of winning independence and actually being it's own little country for a time...pretty cool. Do you ever wonder what it would be like if Texas had not joined the Union? And really it wasn't that long ago - 1845.

Otter Mom said...

I have wondered what it would be like if Texas was still an independent nation. I've also wondered what would happen if it were to cecede again.

Anonymous said...

Gov Perry has threatened to secede again. I forgot what it was he was upset about. I think it was about education, and the Feds telling us what to do.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Wouldn't you think that the Fed would have figured out by now that Texans don't really need them?