Thursday, January 03, 2013

Mostly Just Random Thoughts Tonight

I think it's Thursday, but it feels like Tuesday!  Yesterday, Wednesday, felt like Monday.  Tomorrow (Friday) had better feel like Friday!  My day identification confusion is a result of being off work for a week and a half, then going back to work mid-week.

The Wildman and the Otter met me for lunch today.  We went to our favorite Mexican place and stuffed ourselves.  Then the Wildman went home and the Otter went to the library.  I had to go back to work, which was kind of boring!

Doggie Disgrace today!  One of them, probably both of them actually, got into a plastic bag of trash that was in the garage.  We normally have trash pick up on Tuesday and Friday, Tuesday was a holiday so the full bag was tied closed and placed in the garage to wait for Friday.  Today, the dogs were apparently bored while they were blocked from the house when everybody was gone.  They found something to play with.  Bill thinks it was Maggie, but I think they both had a hand in it.  Or paw!  It's been re-bagged and is still in the garage, but they don't spend too much time out there when we're all home so we're hoping that they'll leave it alone and it will still be intact for tomorrow's trash pick up.

(I think maybe I spoke too soon, I just heard Otter yelling at Maggie and bringing her in from the garage.  I think that maybe the trash has been rearranged again!)

There has been a lot in the news about hitlary's concussion and resulting blood clot.  While I have absolutely zero respect or admiration for the woman, I don't wish her any ill and I do sympathise with her on this.  Concussions are not fun.  I'm 51, mine was 40 something years ago or thereabouts.  And I still have issues related to it.  I probably always will.  The easiest way to explain it is how it was phrased to me:  when there is a hard enough blow to cause a concussion, brain cells actually die.  When that happens, assuming it's not fatal, the brain will attempt to heal itself which means that it will re-wire itself.  But it can't completely heal the area that died - so it has to "go around" that area and create new links between sections.  Which means that sometimes things get skipped, when the re-wiring occurs.  In my case, it is words.  Not the spelling, I'm a whiz at that.  Not at pronunciation and I can type like lightning (accurately).  But in the recall of the word I want - I don't do it very often, but it does happen enough that it's noticeable.  Especially when I'm tired or stressed.  I might want to say glass (as in drinking glass) but say cup instead and I might say something else entirely, like key for example when I meant to say dog.  Sometimes, I can't remember the word at all and it takes me a moment to remember which one I want.  It's annoying and it's frustrating in the extreme.  And my concussion was probably not the most serious, although it was bad enough.  I am missing several hours in my memory, I know what happend because I was told what happened, I have no memory whatsoever of the event - I was running out the door and slipped on a wet place on the concrete porch, which caused my feet to go out from under me and my head to hit the floor or concrete.  I have a very fuzzy memory of waking up, I was on our Aunt's bed and I remember Froggy or possibly one of my friends saying "she's awake" and I remember seeing Mom standing in front of me - my vision was fuzzy.  The next thing I remember is my friend's father asking me how many fingers he was holding up and I think it was two.  Then I remember blacking out again and not anything else until several hours later, when I woke up in the hospital with the worst headache I've ever had in my life - and I've had some humdinger migraines.  I was dizzy and nauseated, unsteady for days and the headache also lasted for days.  I read an article the other day, it talked about secondary concussions that occur when someone has had one and then gets another one - usually within a few days to weeks of the first one and usually from something high-impact like football.  The healing process is so delicate and the brain is so fragile; when it's compromised from a concussion and another impact occurs it can be fatal or at the least, it can be catastrophic.  They are not something to be taken lightly.  When Otter got hit in the head with a baseball bat at kid's group at church, we were really afraid she might have one.  The doctor didn't think so, but we had to treat her like she did have one just in case.  She was "lucky" that it didn't - I don't believe in luck, as we all know but the word works and no, it's not because I don't know which word I want!  I think I might have some other related issues, but they are minor and might not have anything to do with it.

I guess it's appropriate that my brain had to re-wire itself.  I am the Borg Queen, after all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cookie loves to turn over any trash can she can find.
Concussions are very serious things.
No comment on your brain being rewired.
Froggy