Friday, October 05, 2007

Friday. Texas. Home.





It's Friday. It's Texas/OU weekend. And my Texas flag is now out in front of my house, waving proudly. (For anyone that is interested, we have decided that even though our house is in NE Oklahoma - it's actually part of Texas.) And I'm wearing my Texas Longhorns t-shirt.



The Home part of the title refers to both the flag because Texas is and always will be home to us, and also to the fact that Otter and I are home today. We are doing what we refer to as "playing the asthma game." Otter had a sore throat yesterday morning but she went to school anyway. I expected a call all day long to come get her, but she managed to make the day. She wanted to go to karate, so we did but she wasn't able to finish the class. When we got there, she must not have looked like she felt too good, because the first words out of the instructor's mouth were to tell her that she was free to take as many breaks as she needed. He also had her lead the running when they were doing their warm ups, and told her to walk as often as she needed to. She made it about half way through class, then she had to come to where I was sitting and use her inhaler. 4 times. Which is actually quite a bit. She still wanted to stay, so I had her sit down by me and rest for a few minutes. But I could still hear her wheezing when I listened to her chest and she decided that she probably should not stay. When we got home, she took a short nap. Then after homework and dinner, she took a shower and then spent the rest of the evening in bed reading. She had a sore throat this morning and some lung tightness, so we decided to keep her home. Otter is at the age where she can stay home by herself when she's sick. But never with asthma. Frasier and Maggie are sticking pretty close to her today.



So since I'm home, I got all my normal Friday housecleaning done early. Well, I haven't vacuumed yet but I will later on - I wanted to give the dogs all the time they needed to track in dirt & leaves before I vacuum it all up! But I'm finished with my laundry, although it's not put up yet, and the kitchen is clean. So I don't have to do much of anything for the rest of the day. I am going to probably post a few things on eBay later on, around 3:30 or so.



Otter wanted me to post my poem about the Texas flag. I don't really think of it as a poem, but she does. It's something I came up with a couple of years ago so I would remember which part is the top and which is the bottom - about 3 years ago I accidentally hung it up upside down and Texas lost to OU that year. And Bill has never let me forget it! Anyway:



Our Flag


The bottom is red, for the blood of our Heroes spilled at the Alamo fighting for our freedom and independence.

The top is white, for the clouds in the sky that we reach for and we can achieve anything we try.

The blue on the side is the sky that the clouds are in.

The lone star is the star we are striving for in that beautiful blue sky with the white clouds.



Later edit: Otter might finally be getting a new bed! We're going to meet Bill at a place today after he gets off work and go look at mattresses. We have the frame & headboard, and now the bedding for it - although we haven't gotten sheets yet - and would have taken care of this a long while back. Except that I was sick, then every spare second was spent at the rent house and now that we're finally through with everything we have time to get her a bigger bed. Maggie Beagle will be overjoyed! Otter is feeling a little better, so I think it will be ok to take her out for a couple of hours. Since it's her bed, she has to be the one to actually pick it out. All I gotta do is pay for it! Happy now, Froggy?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just to let you know, we have had our pre-game feast so OU is bound to win.

(My sister's boyfriend always makes a huge meal on football Saturdays because it helps OU win. lol)

Otter Mom said...

It must have worked this year, because we lost. But only by one touchdown! And we had an injured quarterback, so I don't feel too badly. I only saw the last few minutes of it.

Unknown said...

I only saw the first few minutes. I really don't care about football at all. I go because its the social thing to do - at least make an appearance. And because there is always excellent food available with OU is playing. lol