Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Tuesday & My Turn

To be sick, that is. I'm still at home. The sore throat is the worst part of it, I've been living on Life Savers candies this morning.

I did have to get out, we have a local election and I went to vote. Then I stopped at Wallyworld for the Life Savers and milk. Then I came home, got back into my pj's and I'm not planning on going anywhere else today. Otter rode the bus this morning and will ride it home today.




Normally, Tuesday is karate day but I'm not really up to taking her. Which is fine with her, I don't think she really needs to go anyway considering how sick she was. It seems to take a few days for the coughing & upper respiratory symptoms to go away, and excercise bothers her asthma when she's sick or coughing.

The mattress set is still in the living room floor! I am going to call Salvation Army, but until it either gets donated or taken to the dump it has to be somewhere. The headboard and frame are resting against the wall in the front entrance way. We don't really have a place to store it, so we just left it in the floor. I was parked on it this morning before I went to vote, the Magginator was right there with me. She was very snuggly. And warm! Frasier was beside it, with his head leaning on the edge of it so I could pet him. They are really spoiled.




This was taken just after we got the Magginator, so it was March of last year. She still looks the same, just fatter!





Not sure just when this was taken, but Frasier is in his usual position - snoozing! Actually, I think his eyes are open in this picture but they probably didn't stay that way for long. He is lazy! A good dog, he just conserves his energy for times that he really needs it. Like when he thinks that there might be a squirrel up the tree that he needs to barks his head off at.

It was really cool this morning, nice temperatures for October. But I don't think we're going to have much in the way of Fall color this year. In about 3 weeks, maybe a little more depending on the temperatures, we will plant Otter's tulip bed for next spring's blooms. The tulip bulbs need colder temperatures, so we don't plant them until it's gotten really cool. We're going to have to do a little work on the dirt, it will need anti-mole/gopher treatment but that's easy. I'm hoping to plant the bulbs around the first of November. Which is just right around the corner!


I also am going to do some work in the back yard, we have iris bulbs planted around the trees and the dogs like to lie under the trees. So the iris plants get squashed! I'm going to move the iris bulbs to the area right up against the house in the back where we had a flower bed but we took it down. It was a nice area, but the wood edging was decomposing so we decided to just let the grass have that area. The iris bulbs won't need any edging, they'll still come up and the dogs don't have too much interest in that area. Bill suggested that we dig narrow trenches and plant the bulbs that way, which is a good idea. It will probably take about 3 trenches - it's a long area, but there are a lot of iris plants! They are the purple kind, very pretty. There are also a few yellow iris bulbs along the fence on the other side of the shed and they don't get enough sun because of the neighbor's honeysuckle so I'm going to dig them up as well and put them with the rest by the house.


This is just another picture of the poochies! No idea when it's from, but maybe last Fall?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Marigolds keep the rabbits out of gardens, so does human hair. (My step-mom was a beautician, when she cut out hair she would take it out to the garden and spread it around so that the rabbits wouldn't eat our food - I can't decide if its gross or not, but it worked.)

Anyway, I am not sure if that would help underground creatures at all, but it sure is a pretty way (the marigolds that is) to keep other animals out.

Well, wait, when I say other animals that definitely exclude turtles. lol We have a friend that planted strawberries this year. They were doing great until a turtle came and took a bite out of each and every one of them. Silly thing didn't eat the whole thing just a bite out of each.

I hope you get to feeling better. (Watch Mary Poppins - its my feel better movie when I get sick. :) )

Otter Mom said...

Hair does work to a point on moles & gophers. We treat the tulip bed with mineral (baby) oil, water and a teaspoon of dish soap. Several days prior to planting, and sometimes it needs to be treated more than once.
But we don't discourage turtles, we love them. Just ask my sister!

Unknown said...

lol. Turtles are cute, and I would mind if you were able to find on because Erik's son has been wanting one for a while. I just think it is funny that instead of getting full by eating a few complete strawberries they turtle fed himself by taking a bit out of all the strawberries.

I told Marty (Erik's friend) that the turtle just understood the "dibs game" better than Marty did. lol