Monday, April 21, 2008

A Very Tiring Monday

I am not quite back to normal, but I am feeling a lot better. I'm still coughing, pretty hard at times, and I have some hoarseness but I do sound somewhat better. Of course, I had a big nosebleed to deal with this morning so I've also had to deal with a sinus headache today. But I'm getting there.

I'm mostly just very tired. I went in early, then after work I had a couple of errands. Then after Otter got home, we had a few other errands that we were going to do later on in the week but we have a rainy forecast so we decided not to wait. We hit the library (never a quick stop for us), Michael's (for once we didn't find anything), a thrift store (found another shot glass for Bill's collection) and took our recycling stuff.

And as if that weren't enough, I have had hot flashes for the last 2 days!! Talk about unfair. I once heard someone describe them as hot "flashers". Because you immediately start flapping your shirt in an effort to cool yourself off, which sometimes leads to flasher-type accidents. Which might be a small price to pay for coolness! :) I haven't had any for a while, a daily dose of soy helps. My soy of choice is soy milk, and usually chocolate. Froggy says that she uses the regular or vanilla flavor and that she has it in her cereal. But I gotta have my chocolate! Otter thought it was funny when I stuck my head in the freezer this afternoon. I just told her that one of these days, it would be her turn and she would regret laughing at me. I don't think she believes me. She will eventually!

The bluebonnets are coming along nicely, the blooms are just about opened up completely. Otter and I spent a lot of time with our faces in them when we got home, smelled heavenly - like Home, in fact. Bill said that when he was driving today, he noticed one of the many wildflower plots that are beside the highways and that this one was especially pretty. Because in the midst of all the red blooms, there was a small patch of bonnets! We think some other homesick Texan must have snuck out there at planted it. Whomever he is, THANKS! Probably does a lot of Texan hearts good to see it. Bonnets are very important to us.

We've decided that we need a Texan battery recharge. In other words, we're making a Texas trip this year. Christmas, specifically. It might not have been a good idea to tell Otter yet, however. She's beside herself with anticipation! But since she will probably spend a week in Texas with her Texas grandmother, she'll get two trips this year so I don't feel bad if she has to deal with having to wait!
Our new trees look very good. The oak is starting to leaf out and it looks very healthy. The elm and redbud both have obvious growth and lots of new leaves. They are well-staked so hopefully they'll grow straight. Bill planted 3 acorns last fall, one of them is sprouted and if it makes it to planting size we'll put it in the back yard. No idea what type of oak, just that it's an oak. I'd love a mesquite tree (I know, my Texan roots are showing), but they don't do well with cold and we get just a little too much cold weather in the winter for them. Also we might get too much rain, I'm not sure about that but it seems like I heard or read it somewhere. Otter's climbing black-eyed susans are just begging to poke up through the ground.
I put one of my hummingbird feeders up yesterday. No takers yet, but they'll be here soon and I wanted to be ready. I spent a couple of hours out on the deck Saturday afternoon and there were a lot of bumble bees. Also red wasps, which I can do without. No skeeters yet, thankfully. But I got bumbled several times, I'm thinking that the bees must have been confused by the color of my hair. I've had that happen before with hummingbirds.
I'm not quite sure what Frasier is doing. He was sleeping by my chair, then he got up and ran to the hallway. Except that he just went barely outside the door of this room. I can still see his back half. He stood there, shook all over and then he decided to lie down. He is a strange dog sometimes!
Th-th-that's all, ffffolks!

No comments: