Sunday, April 06, 2008

We Were Treed!

Actually, we just went and bought three trees. One elm, one oak and one redbud. The lacebark elm is in the middle of the front yard, as a replacement for the two trees that we had to cut down. The red oak is on the side of the driveway and is just a tree we wanted to plant there. We'd been talking about an oak for a while, they get big but they are deep rooted so it shouldn't cause a problem with the driveway or street. But it could be a very big tree, 50' is a possibility.
The redbud is because I miss my old one so much. It's in the back yard, where I will be able to see it any time I look out the window or sit on the deck. They are small, but they won't be for long. I'm just glad I have a redbud again! I've wanted another one ever since we had to cut down the one at the old house, and that was probably about 6 or 7 years ago. The new one is an Eastern Redbud, which is more of a pink color than the standard redbud but I like them because they are a little different. The common one here is the Oklahoma Redbud, which is what I had before and is a very pretty tree. But I wanted the pinker one this time.

One yellow tulip is blooming, it has reddish streaks inside of it and it's pretty. There are a couple of others that look like they'll be yellow as well. No sign of the dark colored ones yet, but there are still plenty that aren't quite to the bud or bloom stage.

Bill's mom got here Friday evening, her plane was only about 45 minutes late! But the important thing is that she made it safely. We've had a great visit. We went shopping yesterday - yes on Sabbath! She went to church with us this morning, we had lunch at our favorite Chinese buffet and we've been visiting a lot. She is heading back home Tuesday morning, wish she could stay longer. We made divinity yesterday, ice cream and pizza Friday night, and we also had Mexican food for lunch yesterday. I'm so off of my dietary plan! But I was very good last week and will be very good this week - at least as much as I can, considering the Jury Duty.

I'm off to jury duty tomorrow morning. I am caught up at work, I usually am anyway, but there is a lot going on that I really need to be there for - taxes are only part of it. But it's not something that can be helped.

Movie recommendation: 13 Days. It's about the Cuban missile crisis and it is a really good movie. It doesn't go into the political side too much, it's about the incident itself and it is very intense. Some language, but not too much considering the circumstances. Anyone who is a history buff, like we are, should really see it. In fact, everyone should see it because it is a history lesson in itself. Just a very good movie. Kevin Costner is in it, he's a pretty good actor. The ending is very poignant, it ends with President Kennedy and his brother Robert walking away and it fades to their shadows, then just JFK's shadow. Considering what happened to them both but especially to JFK, it's a very emotional way to end an intense movie. (I'm not even discussing politics here, just my thoughts about a person who was killed brutally but was a very important person in our history no matter of individual opinions).
Oh, before I forget - Bill's had a new experience. Nana bought Otter a birthday present - it's a bikini. Yes, the real thing. It's cute, it's camo pattern and she looks good in it. But I don't think that Bill has recovered from her style show yesterday! He tried really had not to explode, but I think his jaw is still clenched. However, his color is back to normal now - I was kind of worried about him yesterday, but I think he's ok now. At least until she actually wears it to a pool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we go swimming while I am there she should wear the bikini. (Jessie always called them bikimis.)

My tulips are all bloomed out. Most were red, but there were a few that were yellow. They were all very pretty anhd well worth the money and all the work. I plan on doing them again next year. Froggy