Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Silver Thoughts

Today is our 25th Anniversary. It's an occasion worth celebrating, especially when you consider how so few marriages seem to last these days. And especially considering the fact that we were briefly one of the statistics ourselves! But that is a story for another time.

These are some of our wedding pictures. I took pictures of the pictures in our album. The quality is not the best!

We got married in a small Baptist church. It's not a tiny church, but it's not a big one either. We did not want a big wedding, we just wanted our family and a few close friends and that is what we had. But it looks like the church is empty in some of the pictures, but it really wasn't. The pastor did not want any pictures taken during the ceremony itself, so most of the pictures were taken after the ceremony. This one, however, isn't! The photographer took pictures of everyone walking down the aisle, then he scooted upstairs to the balcony and snuck a few shots of the actual ceremony. And our first kiss!



This one is another one from the balcony. It's at a better angle, but because of the angle my 3rd bridesmaid is hidden. Sorry FutureJediMom, we know you were there! Froggy was my matron of honor (with a special guest - she had a bun in her oven!), Bill's sister Carolyn and FutureJediMom were my bridesmaids.



Sorry this is sideways, blogger was being uncooperative when I posted this picture. I didn't want a fancy, poofy dress but in the mid-80's I didn't have much choice. Unless I wanted the fluff overload. But I managed to find a dress I loved, the sleeves were a little puffier than I wanted but there wasn't much I could do about that. The sleeves could have been worn off the shoulder and I did think about it, but decided instead to wear them just barely on my shoulders. A train was a necessity, not a 14-foot one but a nice length train. As a redhead, it was suggested that I go with an off-white dress but I had always wanted a white wedding gown so that's what I had. If it clashed, then it clashed and I didn't worry about it! The bodice and sleeves had some light lace decoration. I had a fingertip length viel with beading on the top.




Again, the picture is sideways. My wedding colors were red (not bright, think red roses) and sky blue. The blue was the main color, the red was more of an accent color because I wanted roses. Silk ones, but still roses. The cake decor was blue flowers. The topper was hand made, blown glass. It didn't survive the packing up after the reception. I had it remade later and it still broke!



This is the car we affectionaly called the Klingon Battle Cruiser. It was police surplus and it was big. And heavy. And fast! We took it to Carlsbad Caverns for our honeymoon. When Bill finally sold it many years later, I really was sad to see it go. As soon as we left the reception, we went to the first gas station we found that had a car wash (and was open in late January on a Saturday night) and washed it all off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as normal I am late with Happy Anniversary. Congratulations.
The wedding was beautiful and you were a beautiful bride. What I remember best was the food at the reception. It was all delicious and I remember that I ate a lot.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Thank you!

I rememember some of the food besides the wedding cake, but not that much beyond the sausage balls. And the punch - there was non-alcoholic available and then there was a champagne punch, which Aunt Helen drank quite a bit of until somebody told her that she was drinking the "real" punch! Aunt Helen avoided alcohol, it was funny at the time mostly because of her reaction.