Saturday, November 08, 2008

Haven't Blogged Much Lately!

It's just been a really busy few days.
We did get rain the other night. Bill said that the rain barrel was full, but it was only about 1/4 full. However, it is doing what it was designed to do and the plants inside the house got rain water from it so they were happy.

Except for one cactus. It did not get water, it seldom does anyway. But somewhere along the line, it apparently did get watered too much. Because it collapsed on itself like a telescope. I think it must have been "in the firing line" of runoff water from one of the other plants that was above it on one of my plant stands. Froggy, it was the taller one in the pink pot. I dug out my leather gloves and took it out of the pot. Then I had to put it inside of a small box to throw it away, it had long thorns! It was very mushy! It was almost like a gel inside of it. So far, the other one in the pink pot looks good. I think I'm going to relocate the remaining one to a smaller pot and transplant the prickly pear to the pink pot.

Let's see, what else? The rain storm the other night was actually pretty bad, it was a "springlike storm" which is not good. We got a lot of wind. I mean A LOT OF WIND. Nothing tornadic in our area, but there was one confirmed tornado northeast of Tulsa - towards Hominy. There was one home destroyed, no real injuries to speak of at least. Some of our patio furniture was rearranged, and the two remaining dead limbs in one of the front trees are now on the ground beside the tree. One other result of the wind: the neighbor with the dogs had no more excuses left, she had to put up her extremely tacky yard art! It blew down, it was still in her yard but just barely.

There are two new holes in the fence. One of them is right next to the two new boards Bill installed a week or so ago. He's going to take the two boards that he took down from the fence (they are partially broken), and he's going to attach them to the fence to cover the holes. He's going to use long screws, and they will stick out pretty far into the neighbor's yard. He's thinking that it might keep her dogs off the fence. We'll see. Then we are going to see if we can find out just how many dogs she has. Then we're going to turn her in to the city. I don't know how strict the city is about that, Tulsa was pretty strict but I'm not sure about the smaller town we live in now.
I had a cooking experiment today! Those are words that usually strike fear into the heart of my family, well mostly Bill anyway. I decided to try my hand at making egg rolls. I found a few low-fat recipes online. We had them for dinner. They were baked, so very little fat. Just a little olive oil that I used to slightly cook the veggies. They were ok, but I don't think I'll make them again. They came out ok, they just were kind of bland. And since they were veggies, I'm hungry already! Also, it is not cheap to make them and I can buy a package of low-fat freshly made ones at Wallyworld when I want them. Which isn't often anyway. We didn't use all the wrappers, Bill wants to try his own experiment tomorrow: hot dogs baked in egg roll wrappers. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.
We took the dogs for a walk today, this is the first time in almost a week that we've had time for it. They were very excited when they realized that they were getting walked. Maggie was almost frantic, in fact. She was just crazed, no other word for it. Frasier calmed down pretty quickly, but then he's normally a very mellow dog. But not Magster! :)
We are probably going to plant the tulips tomorrow. And maybe relocate a few more of the iris plants. Also, there is a Fenton signing event in the afternoon. I guess it's kind of a no-brainer that we'll be there! I think I'm taking my $3.00 thrift store basket and one of my figurines. I'm not sure if Otter is taking any of her pieces or not, she might take one of hers and another of mine or two of mine, if she doesn't take any of her own. I'm not sure if she has any more that are unsigned.
More tomorrow! Or sometime soon, anyway.

No comments: