Thursday, November 20, 2008

Star Trek-in'

One of my dreams has been realized! Otter is turning into a Trekkie! I'm one of the "original" Trekkies, although I'm probably technically considered to be second generation since I was about 3 when the show debuted.

I guess it was inevitable that I become a Trekkie. One of my very earliest memories is of Dad turning on the tv and there was this wonderful thing on the screen that I distinctly remember and also remember wanting to watch it. But he changed the station, probably to Gunsmoke or someting similar. This is in 1963 or possibly early 1964. Fast-forward to the mid-70's when the show was back on tv in the afternoons. I would rush home to watch it after school. I loved it from the first episode. Then several episodes into it, I had an epiphany - the early memory, one of my earliest memories in fact, was of Star Trek! And after that, there was no stopping my obsession. Once I saw that same episode, I knew I was not going to be able to avoid it. So I didn't even try, I simply enjoyed it. And it was very enjoyable most of the time.

However, even though I am obsessed with it, I'm also realistic. And sometimes it just wasn't good. There is a joke about how even numbered Trek films don't suck. It's not a joke - it's really true! There is a new movie coming out, it looks great from the trailers. And it's an even number, so that's one less worry.
Of course, part of what originally got Otter interested in Trek is the fact that the character of Spock in the new movie is played by an actor on the series Heroes. But I'm not complaining, at least she's getting into it! She's willingly becoming a Trekkie, by the way.
And since she is her mother's daughter, we also know what her future holds.
(For anyone who doesn't know what I'm referring to, let's just say that it's one of my nicknames. One of my major nicknames. And the initials are B.Q.)
And it's unavoidable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM NOT GONNA BE THE BORG QUEEN!!!

-Otter D.

Otter Mom said...

So you say. I can see the signs of it in you already. I have for months!

Otter M.

Anonymous said...

Give up, it runs in the family
Froggy

Anonymous said...

NEVARR!!!

-otter D.