Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Numb!

I just came from the dentist. I had to get a filling. I only have a few actual teeth - the majority of my teeth are dentures. But one of my few "original" teeth needed some attention, it was a small filling but I still had to be numbed up for it.

Part of the Redhead Curse is that anesthesia (of any kind even including otc stuff like aspirin and related pain killers) doesn't work as well on us. It sometimes takes more to even begin to work, and frequently more is needed in the middle of a procedure. Today was better, I had to get a second shot but just a small one. Usually I have to get 3 or 4 more. So I'm not complaining.

There is more to the Redhead Curse. One other part (of many parts) of it is that we tend to bleed. A lot. A LOT. So I usually have to deal with gauze in my mouth when I get even a minor thing done like today. We bleed more than normal, and it doesn't clot nearly as quickly as it should. Today was no exception.
I saw an interesting article the other day. I couldn't find it to link it when I went back to look for it. But it was about a study done on people's ability to process pain medication. Although the study was not based on any one particular facet of the population, quite a bit of it became a study of redheads and how we metabolize pain medication so much faster than the general population. I could have saved them a whole lot of time and money, all they had to do was ask me about it!

I am also getting hungry and don't want to even attempt to eat until the feeling comes back. Which is generally pretty fast, see Paragraph 2 and 4! I'm going to stick with soup tonight. I shouldn't have any problem chewing, but she had to snip part of the gum around the tooth to be able to get at the area to be filled and it could be tender. So I'm going to stick with easy stuff tonight, and no it won't be spicy! My dentist said that I could use orajel or similar toothing gel if I need anything, but unless I need it I'm not going to buy it. Walgreen's is open tomorrow if I decide to get some.

So far, Frasier seems to have learned his lesson regarding the fence. Although he's a smart dog and I expect him to give it another try soon. At the moment, both dogs are in the floor beside me. Frasier is grooming Maggie, and she looks like she is really enjoying it. Spoiled rotten!

I have a prayer request. My friend Virginia is having a hard time facing the first holiday without her daughter. Any prayers for their family would be appreciated.

Ok, eBay time!

No comments: