Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Fenton Tuesday!

I've been shopping today. I've found Fenton and I'm happy! Otter and I helped Bill out at Grandpa's rent house, we painted for a few hours and then we decided it was time to go shopping. I found fabric at a thrift store that is perfect for my vintage theme kitchen curtains. It's a light blue with strawberries and will be perfect. I found a couple more gadgets also.

But my favorite finds of the day came from a craft/antique/variety store on Main Street (Froggy, where I found the picnic basket). I "only" bought two pieces (well, one is a set of 3), but there are about 4 more that I'm thinking about.

This is actually yesterday's find. It's probably not Fenton, but I have seen two at the place today that are Fenton and while I do like them, I actually like this $10.00 Goodwill lamp better. But I'm going to do some eBay research, and then if I think it's worth it I will possibly go back tomorrow and buy the Fenton lamps for resale. (Yes, Froggy - I said sell and Fenton in the same sentence. But if I would be buying them for resell and then if they didn't sell, I would still be happy!) My lamp needs a shade, I'll find the right one eventually. It's a pretty tall lamp and it leans to one side slightly, so it's turned where it leans to the back and it's not as noticeable. Surprisingly, the fact that I saw two Fenton lamps didn't seem to bother me, as I like this one a lot better!

This is a closer picture of the glass part, with the moonstone pattern visible. It needs a little cleaning! The base and stem are brass, which need a little polishing.

This was my first find today. The lid to one shaker is a little dented, but they are in the best condition I've ever seen this set in. The glass is perfect. $10.00, but on sale for $8.00. I think I got a very good deal. I'm going to use them for their intended purpose, but Otter has expressed a concern about dropping them so they will be part of the good china set that we don't use every day at her request! I already knew that they are Fenton, but the seller also knew that because they were labeled. This particular booth had some very reasonable prices.

This was not marked as anything but a white glass candle holder, it was not at the same booth as the shaker set. $4.00. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. It holds 5 candles around the edges and one in the center. It is pretty dirty, I have not had time to clean it up but I will and then it might become our Advent wreath. Although Advent wreaths hold 4 candles with one in the center, but we'll adjust! :) This was probably my best deal, and one of the better deals I've ever managed to find.

The lady who was running the register held the items for me so I didn't drop anything before I finished shopping. As I was sitting them down on the counter, she asked me if I collected milk glass. I told her I was really interested in Fenton, and one of the booth owners immediately pointed out some Fenton that she has - for good prices, but not necessarily pieces I want, she also had a piece that I am thinking about that she wasn't sure if it is Fenton and I was able to id it for her. I also showed her a couple of ways to tell when it's not marked.

I'm seeing a lot more milk glass suddenly, and not the mass-produced pieces such as plain vases. I read somewhere recently that milk glass might become the next collectible item. I'm not really a fan, but I like specific pieces. However, Fenton in any color is always good! Especially if it's cheap and in good shape. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the candle holder.
I bet if you buy the other pieces and then sell them you will be moaning about not keeping them.
What gadgets did you find?
Froggy