Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Winter's Here!



Monday was an ice day, we had a sleet storm that started Sunday evening. Sunday was windy and warm, it was in the 70's until about 3:00 or so and then it started to get cool fast with the wind switching to the north instead of the south. We had a few errands to run and we got groceries as well as a stop at the gas station. Which was good, as gasoline went up 12 cents overnight!

We woke up to ice Monday morning. The first picture is the street in front of my house, and it was a solid sheet of ice. Schools were closed and we could not get out of our neighborhood.
I refilled the birdfeeders in the back yard, at one point we had 5 male cardinals and 3 females. Last year, we had one male and 5 females which we referred to as his harem. Also we saw a dove, it was on one of the suet feeders. It's unusual to see them this time of year. Lots of sparrows, chickadees, wrens and the ever-present vermin known as starlings!
In between bird-watching and decorating, I also got my laundry done and got quite a bit done on the scarf I'm crocheting for Froggy's friend. And because we are Texan, we also made chili. But we make it pretty often, even in warm weather. Which is also typical Texan behavoir! :)



Since we were home, we kept the fireplace going all day. We are going to have to order a rick of wood, probably soon. But not in the next couple of days, as it's higher while there is ice on the ground! The dogs have their spots staked out in front of the fire, I just happened to get a shot without them. But they spent a lot of time snoozing in front of the fire.


Since we were home, we decided to put up our Christmas decorations. Otter is taking her Liberty Falls houses out of the box in this picture. She put them on the table she's sitting by, but she might still rearrange them so no picture of them yet. On the table is the ceramic Christmas tree Mom had our cousin make and bring to me the first Christmas we were in OK. Froggy and Toadly also got one, I think mine is the only one still intact. And I nearly knocked it over last night!

This is Maggie about to get into Trouble!


I made this a couple of years ago, I think it turned out well. I like simple wreaths. This one is just a pre-made wreath from Michael's craft store, I attached ribbon and silk pointsettias with one of my many hot-glue guns. Easy.

This is a close-up of the Nativity set. I have a bunch of pictures here, some were taken with the flash and some without. I think the ones without the flash turned out better.




Obviously, this one is with the flash! It's the angel that is broken. I completely forgot about the fact that Bill glued her wings back on. She's still pretty delicate, but until I find a replacement I'll use her.

This one is a better shot, the angel shows up better in this one.


I have two other ceramic trees, one of them I painted and the other one I got at a yard sale. They are visible at the side of this picture. They both light up, but I don't have a light kit for the smaller one (the one I made). Also, it would be very difficult to get to the outlet to plug them in since they are on top of the entertainment center.
I had a few errands to run today after work, since we weren't able to get out yesterday. (I actually managed to get our Christmas cards mailed this year!) The roads are not the best, they are good in places and bad in other places. Still pretty bad in our neighborhood. It was in the mid-20's today, but tomorrow should be in the mid-30's so maybe some of it will start to melt. Then I think we get a couple of warmer days before a possible round of winter weather again early next week. Like about the time we would have been on the road to Texas, if we'd kept our original vacation plans.
The dogs are a little crazy today, Frasier has been warting Maggie until she plays with him. Usually, it's the other way around! I think that they like the fact that they've been inside for several days straight, especially with the weather being so cold. Can't say I blame them!

No comments: