Sunday, July 27, 2008

Have A Seat!

A few weeks back, the driver's seat in my car broke. I got in the car to go somewhere and I was suddenly sitting in the floorboard. Or at least it felt like that. Bill looked at the seat and he said that part of the frame on the bottom had broken. So I called around to salvage lots, but nobody has any seats for a 2002 Chevy Impala. Apparently, not too many Impalas are sent to salvage. Not surprised at that, they are really good cars. So I called the Chevy place, and they said that it would be one of three parts and that there was no way they could tell me which one over the phone. So Bill had to take the seat out, take it apart then put it back in the car without the broken piece. Which made it even more uncomfortable to drive! I took the broken piece to Chevy and the parts department eventually figured out what part I needed to order. The part came in Friday. Bill spent several hours today fixing the seat. The piece that broke is part of an assembly, we couldn't buy just the piece that broke - we had to buy the entire bottom frame of the seat. Not the foam padding & fabric, just the frame that it sits on. Which means that Bill basically had to take the entire seat apart and reassemble it on the new frame, then he discovered that he didn't have the right tool to put the seat back in. So that meant a trip to the auto parts store. Where the clerk was kind of an idiot! But anyway, he got the tool and the seat is back in the car now. I drove it around the block to make sure it is installed right and it seems to be. But I noticed that I'm sitting a lot higher in the car than I have for a while, so I think that maybe the piece that broke off was only part of what was actually broken and that I'd been slowly sinking. At any rate, it's safe again.

Which is good, because Otter is about to start driving classes and once she gets the actual driving part behind her and gets her license, my car will be the one she'll get to drive. Eventually!

We went to church today, our pastor is back. He was actually back last Sunday, but we didn't go. However, he is back and looks great. He says he feels pretty good, considering that he had pretty extensive surgery. We could tell that he was pretty tired by the time the service was over. But his prognosis is great, all the indications so far sound like the doctor's got all the cancer! His surgery was on his right side, he always gestures with his hands and today was no exception. I noticed that he was not shaking hands with people as they left, he was grabbing hands with his left hand.

It's very warm today, I probably should just say HOT and get it over with! It's above 100, the heat index (how it actually feels) was supposed to be somewhere around 110. Bill moved my car to the front yard under a tree when he was working on it, now he's doing something to his van and he's got it under a tree on the other side of the driveway so he gets at least a little shade.

We've had the sprinkler going in the back yard most of the day, the shady spots are getting watered and later on when it's cooled off the sunny areas will get watered. I've also got my sun tea jar sitting out on the deck, it is merrily making tea. Decaf!

The dogs have hardly been outside today. They are spending most of their time snoozing, generally in front of an a/c vent or under a fan. Their outside water dish is currently home to several frogs, there are generally a bunch of them hopping around but we don't usually see a lot of them actually in the water dish at the same time. Smart froggies! I was concerned that we might have a dog eat a frog, which is really gross because of the chemical reaction between the frog and the dog but so far we haven't had any. I watched Frasier the other day when he was getting a drink out of their outside dish, there was a big bullfrog in it at the time and I noticed that the frog went to one side of the dish and Frasier went to the other side. I'm kind of thinking that maybe Frasier has already had that particular learning experience and doesn't wish to repeat it. I hope so, anyway!

I refilled my hummingbird feeders this morning. We didn't see any hummingbirds for a very long time, but now we have a couple of them again. I only have two feeders out, if we get a bunch more birds then I'll put more feeders up. But right now, we just have a couple of birds.

I'm going to go make sure Bill has plenty of water while he's working on his car now. The last thing we need is for him to get heat stroke!

1 comment:

Jan said...

Glad you got the car seat fixed! I had something similar happen once. I was sitting kinda lopsided for awhile! : )
When it's hot around here (like it is lately) you could walk into my front room and swear there was a doggie massacre!! They're all just laying around, too hot to go out and really enjoying the A/C! There are two right now getting an early start on today's lounging activities!
Have a great day!

Jan