Thursday, July 31, 2008

Busy Day! July's Over & I've Been Reading

So I guess I'd better get my book list posted. Here goes:

1) Your Oasis on Flame Lake by Lorna Landvick. I was very disappointed in this, I've read other things by this author that were good but this one and another of her book I've read recently have me convinced that I probably won't read anything else of hers.
2) Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. About the 1996 expedition to Mt. Everest which resulted in several deaths.
3) Send Yourself Roses by Kathleen Turner. Ok, once I learned to ignore the very bad language. Which sometimes is enough to make me stop reading, but this was a short book so I finished it. I think she's a good actress, but I'm not that impressed with her as a person.
4) Chili Con Carpses by J. B. Stanley. Part of a series, I probably should start with # 1 but I'm not really sure if I want to or not. It was ok.
5) October Song by Beverly Lewis. Part of her Amish stories, it was pretty good. It was additional stories about people in her earlier books, including book # 18 on my list.
6) Crafts to Celebrate the Seasons. Mary Engelbriet. A few things I might make!
7) Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. Her books never fail. She is usually on my reading list and I own several of her books. Like I think I mentioned last month, she is about my favorite author.
8) Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. About a young man who marched to his own drummer and decided he could go to Alaska for a while. He was going to live off of the land. His ignorance cost him his life.
9) No! I Don't Want to Join a Bookclub! by Virginia Ironside. I read a book by Barbara Bush, she said that she reads 100 pages of a book before she gives up just in case it gets better. She obviously never read this one! I didn't quite make it that far, I think I got to page 15. So I don't know if this really counts or not, but I did try.
10) Christmas in Harmony by Phillip Gulley. This was part 4 or 5 of a series, and it was so cute I decided to read the rest of the series.
11) Home to Harmony by Phillip Gulley.
12) Just Shy of Harmony by Phillip Gulley.
13) Life Goes On by Phillip Gulley. He's a Quaker pastor and he writes what he knows, the main character is also a Quaker pastor and the series is funny and cute. I'm going to see if there are any I've missed.
14) Collector's Encyclopedia of Milk Glass by Betty & Bill Newbound. I read a lot of this type of book, and I really enjoyed this one. I learned a few things I didn't know from this book.
15) Almost Friends by Phillips Gulley. I actually think that this might be the last one so far in the series.
16) Dirt Under Her nails, an American Farmer and her Changing Land by Marilee Foster. Not too boring, but not one I'd recommend.
17) Warman's Lalique by Mark F. Moran. Laliqe was a french glass artist, his company is still in business and is still turning out absolutely magnificent glass.
18) The Redemption of Sarah Caine by Beverly Lewis.
19) The Firm by John Grisham. I've always heard that Grisham is such a wonderful author, but I was not very impressed. Quite frankly, he writes in a very amatuerish style and there is not much substance. Extremely predictable.
20) The Darwin Awards # 4 Intelligent Design by Wendy Northcutt. This series is very funny. The gene pool is self-cleaning!

I had a little more time to read this month, with Otter being in Texas for 10 days. I usually average between 15 and 20 anyway. After driving class, Otter wanted to go to a book launch party at the library so while she was involved in that I checked out almost more books than I could carry. So I'm set for a couple of days. Plus I bought two more books by Maeve Binchy at a thrift store this afternoon and I still have several that I've bought recently to read or re-read.
Ok, that's it!

1 comment:

Jan said...

You are one reading woman! Wow! And I thought I read alot! LOL!
Good luck to Otter in her driving classes! She'll be outstanding, I just know it!

Jan