Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Guess I Should Post Something Today...

Since I haven't posted anything since Thursday. Not a lot going on, just the normal stuff.

The holes in the fence are still there. Only they are a little bigger. Bill took down the block that we had up there and replaced it with a log from our woodpile. He is probably going to talk to the neighbor tomorrow. He's going to tell her that if she doesn't fix the fence, he will take care of the problem. He might or might not tell her that one of his ideas to take care of the problem includes calling the city and reporting that she is way over the 3 dog limit, and since they are not licensed as far as we can tell, the city just might confiscate them. One of the other options he's talked about, but I don't expect him to do, is to leave our gate open and unblock the holes - thereby allowing her dogs to get out. Our dogs would be blocked in. But that's mostly just frustration talking, he won't really do that. He also might go ahead and electrify the lower part of the fence line and he also can put chicken wire up to block the holes and electrify it as well. We use a dog specific electrification system, so no actual injuries. But it would get their attention!

Both of our doggies are sort of in trouble. Maggie mostly. She's been digging in the back yard again. So they are spending a lot of their time either in their small yard or locked in the house with us. If we're lucky, Maggie has not killed the redbud tree we planted last spring - although the holes are pretty deep around it and the roots are disturbed. They are going after moles. Frasier has been involved in the digging, but it's mostly the beaglebrat!

In view of the problem with the neighbor and the disintegrating fence, we've changed our plans for our Christmas vacation. We were going to have someone come out and feed them. But we've decided that it would be better after all to board them. So I called my vet and they do boarding, but only during the week. Since we're leaving on a Sunday, we would need to take them Saturday sometime. The vet recommended a lady who used to work there but quit to start her own doggie boarding operation. It's called the Doggie Day Spa. I called her yesterday and made reservations. The dogs will have a 4 x 4 room to themselves, with a dog door to a small yard area which they will have to themselves as well. There is a an 8' wooden privacy fence. We have to provide their food, but she'll supply bedding and toys. It's a little pricey, but it's the best option. It's also not too far from our house. And since the vet recommended her, I feel safe leaving the poochies there.

Now we just have to figure out what to do with the parakeet. Otter is going to ask one of her friends if she'll be able to keep him, but this girl's mother has a lot of allergies so it might not work. If not, I have a couple of people I can ask. We'll figure something out.
Seems like most of what has been going on around my house lately has had to do with animals!
Otter and I are going to do some thrifting tomorrow afternoon. We're also going to see if we can find Bill a few more packages of Mother's Cookies, iced animal cookies specifically. I don't remember if I posted about that company going out of business or not, but iced animal cookies are Bill's favorite cookies. I bought a bunch of bags but they are all gone. Already. Actually, they lasted longer than I expected! I told Bill I'd look for them on Friday when I bought groceries, but I completely forgot about it. So I'll look tomorrow. They are actually pretty good cookies. But they are about the only good ones that Mother's makes, which probably has a lot to do with why the company is closing!
We made pizza today. It's fun to make. My bread machine has a recipe which makes 4. We tried cutting it in half and making two, but the dough was so small that the machine had trouble mixing it. So we make the full recipe, which means that we have pizza for two days in a row. They aren't huge, so the three of us eat two pizzas at a meal. But they are very good, and since we make it ourselves I can control quite a bit of the fat content. There is still fat, we use pepperoni. But nowhere near the amount that there is in a regular pizza. We use fat-free shredded cheddar and motzerella and we use a lot of veggies. Usually, we use onions (gotta have onions!), bell peppers, celery (actually is pretty good), canned mushrooms and sometimes black olives. I don't worry too much about the sauce, we just use whatever kind I happen to feel like. It doesn't have a lot of fat in it anyway.
I guess that's it for today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now that you have the dogs taken care of you can't change your plans.
Froggy