Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nice Fall Sunday (And Later Update!)

Well, we changed our plans slightly. We aren't going to Lowe's and Bill didn't talk to the neighbor.

He saw her out in the front, but he was in the middle of sawing a board and couldn't stop. By the time he finished, she was gone. So he decided to go ahead and fix the fence for now. The piece that the dog tore off was actually broken into two pieces, Bill glued and clamped them back together and then he took a board that was about the same length as a fence post but slightly wider and thicker, then he screwed it to the fence at the bottom. I think we are going to eventually do that to the entire fence. It will be a lot harder for any dog to get through, and also several of the existing holes in the fence will be covered up. Then we let the dogs have access to the rest of the yard. Frasier promptly went over to that spot, but once he saw that he couldn't get his face through the hole (because it's not there anymore), he lost interest.

Bill also put together the frame for my rain barrel. The barrel will be laid on it's side when it's all finished, the frame will hold it in place and also will keep it off of the ground. I'm going to put several coats of Kilz on the frame and then a couple of coats of regular paint. But until the valve/spigot that we ordered arrives, we won't be doing anything else to the barrel. Hopefully, it will come this week. I'd like to get it set up as soon as we can. Then we will have to wait for rain, but this is NE Oklahoma and it does tend to rain a lot here. A LOT.
Yes, he did have to use his power tools. Today he used his table saw and his drill. And he didn't even come close to injury. Which is a good thing!

And Otter did get her driving practice in today. She drove us to the recylcing center so we could drop off our stuff. She did well, she is working on changing lanes and when to stop for stoplights. There are other things she wants to work on, but those were today's items. She's doing great.
I got the tulip bed weeded. And I found one of these:



It's a Yellow Bear, also called a Wooly Bear and it will turn into one of these:




It's a Tiger Moth. It was in the tulip bed, Otter relocated it to the other side of the back fence where it's well out of Maggie's reach. She named it Squashy Toes. It's so nice to have a daughter who isn't afraid of bugs! Well, she is her mother's daughter after all. Right, Froggy?
The Lowe's trip was rescheduled. I don't think we have enough Kilz to finish the barrel stand and we also need to get tulip bulbs. But nobody wants to go anywhere today, so I'll probably go sometime this week after work. Unless Bill decides he wants to go with me, which might mean that we will go today after all. We are going to have to treat the tulip bed at least twice before we plant anyway, so I have to get some baby oil for that.

I have a prayer request. My friend Jan lost her sister a couple of weeks ago. It was expected, but it is still a hard thing to go through and I think that she and her family could use a few prayers. She had a blog for a while, it was linked as one that I read (Azbax), but she isn't blogging right now so the link isn't there anymore, for anyone who reads the blogs I have linked.
I'm also doing laundry today (seems like I always do laundry on Sunday!)and Otter helped me with housework earlier. Now that she's through with her chores, she's goofing around on the computer. I still have a couple of things to do, and I might get around to them in a little while. Or maybe not! I did get some crafting done also, and I might get some crochet time in this evening. Or I might just read. Or maybe I'll just spend the evening playing with the doggies!
UPDATE: As Otter & I were getting back from excercising the dogs, the mama dog from next door comes running over to greet us. The neighbor was outside, I think her name is Brandy, she was trying to catch the dog. I sent Otter and our two inside, then I helped her catch mama dog. I asked her about the puppies, it turns out that she rescued this dog earlier this week. It was left at a home when the people moved out, she is a friend of a neighbor to that house and they told her about the dog. They had been feeding it but were not able to take it. So Brandy went over there Monday, the puppies were very newly born then, and she brought mama and all 4 babies home. Bill decided not to mention the fence, she really is kind of an air-head and there is no telling what the fence repair would be.
A little later, I was turning the dirt in the tulip bed, when Brandy sent her daughter (?) over to see if we'd seen mama dog because she had gotten out again. I hadn't, they went looking for her and even brought out two of the babies in the hope that she'd come back to her puppies. I guess she did, because I saw her in their back yard later. And then I noticed two more spots where the fence is being pulled apart. This time, it's inside our dogs small yard and higher than ground level. I blocked it with a few bricks, the cinderblock that was already there and one of my milk cans. Bill will get it fixed up later on. The puppies are cute, not quite a week old and tiny. Maybe some lab or even golden retriever mixed in, it's kind of hard to tell this early. But I really hope that these people are renters and that they don't stay there!! (No, we are not getting a puppy! Although Otter did ask).
I unearthed several daffodil bulbs in the tulip bed, I just reburied them and they will probably be fine. I'll probably find them again when we plant the tulip bed! I also planted a few bluebonnet seeds in the whiskey barrel, I'll plant a few more when I pull the blooming plants that are out there now. That will be in the next few weeks, I'll leave the flowering ones out there until it gets too cold and they die. I can't remember what they are called, I want to say impatiens but that isn't what they are. But they are similar.
It was a busy day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby oil for your tulip bed? Explain please.
Yes your daughter is definitely her mother's daughter.
Froggy

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about Jan; I had noticed her blog disappeared. If you are in touch with her please extend my condolences.
--Mary