Thursday, October 30, 2008

No, I Did Not Forget

About Whine Wednesday. I just didn't have anything to whine about. But I'm sure I'll have other subjects in the future! It just probably won't be a regular weekly feature.

Otter went back to school today, she seems to be much better. Her peak flow is reading good and she is able to breathe without difficulty, which is always a good thing. Her peak flow range is usually 350 - 380. Last night, when she was finally beginning to clear, she blew a 400! She's never blown that high before, and the fact that it was at the end of a flare is very surprising.

For those of you who are not versed in the ways of asthma (unlike Froggy and myself and probably Jan/Azbax), a peak flow meter is a tool to measure lung strength. It's basically a piece of plastic with a numbered gauge on one side and a mouthpiece to blow into on one end. The numbers represent lung strength. When Otter was small and just learning how to use it, we would sit in front of her and pretend that she was blowing so hard we would be unable to stay upright. She loved it, but it worked - you have to be able to blow air into the peak flow for it to work, the harder you blow the higher the number will be. The peak flow is like the inhalers - it goes with us wherever we roam.

I will try to get my book list posted tomorrow, but it is Halloween and also Friday night so I might have a bunch of stuff to get done before Sunset. I will wait until the last minute to get the bags of candy open - even with the candy I got just for us, Bill has a tendency to get into any candy he sees! I already know that quite a few of the tootsie rolls we bought to give out won't make it past the bags being opened! Also, Otter has a small pumpkin that needs to be carved and scooped out. She hates the scooping process, but I have news for her: it's her pumpkin. She gets to do the dirty work! I also will bring my ceramic pumpkins in from the front porch, they are sitting where the real pumpkin will be placed. Most of my ceramic pumpkins can be used with tea light candles, but I am not going to do that this year - I have never remembered to get tea lights! Maybe next year, it bugs me to buy a pumpkin that is just going to be thrown away. We blocked the dogs out last year, they kept trying to answer the door with us every time we had a trick or treater! They love everybody and they think that everyone who comes to the door is really coming to visit them.

Ok, enough goofing off! I'm going to get Otter's pirate pants/pj bottoms finished and then I have some eBay stuff to do.

No comments: