Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I'm Pretty Sure it's Finally Fall

Because it certainly feels like it! It's been cool, cloudy and slightly rainy today. I think it was in the 70's. Bill had the house opened up when I got home, and it feels really nice inside.

I took Otter to a program at the library after school, part of their Teen Week stuff. She enjoyed it. They had pizza and a couple of games. She said it was crowded, apparently a teacher at one of the middle schools gave her students extra credit if they went so there were a lot of them. I think it was a brilliant idea on the teacher's part. It amazes me, the number of people (not just kids) that don't read (by choice). I don't think I'll ever understand that one. And since Otter is her mother's daughter, she is pretty much addicted to books like me!

Maggie and Frasier have new jewelry. I bought them each a new name tag today. The ones that they've had for a while have not held up well. We got them at Petsmart at one of the engraving stands most of the stores have. I've also seen them in WalMart. They are not very sturdy, the engraving isn't very deep and just the tags rubbing against each other was enough to basically make the engraving disappear. The part that is not visible anymore on the tags is the important part: our phone number and address. It doesn't do a whole lot of good if the dog gets out, if all that can be read on the tag is the animal's name! I went to a farm/pet supply store today to get more ear rinse for Frasier, and they sell engraved name tags that are engraved a little deeper and the tags are also slightly thicker. So, Maggie has a purple dogbone tag and Frasier has a red one. They're very stylish poochies! But they are still silly babies.
We're getting our flu shots Friday. The Visiting Nurse Association has clinics set up all over the place, they start the first week of October. They have clinics in grocery stores, and Otter and I will go on Friday. We'll get our shots, then we will go straight to the ice cream section of the store. Then we'll stop at Subway to pick up dinner, go home and eat and then I'll probably be feeling the effects of the shot by then so I will be ready for bed soon after that. I usually have a mild reaction, I'll feel cruddy for the evening and then be fine the next morning. But I want to make it easy, thus Subway for dinner and early bed. Otter usually doesn't have a reaction beyond a little soreness at the injection site.

Texas/OU game is this Saturday. We probably already know which side I'm on! I will be proudly flying my Texas flag in front of my house. We wear our various Texas Longhorn t-shirts all year long, but especially this week in October. This is the weekend that Dad and I would always have fun with, since he was from Oklahoma and I live there now. He would give me a lot of grief, but it was all in fun. I miss it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an Aggie Mom I will take Dad's part and vote for OU to win.
Froggy