Thursday, October 02, 2008

Tree Frogs and Paint Brushes

I have a list of things I'd like to get done. It has things on it like cleaning off my craft shelves, "organizing" Bill to get the garage cleaned out a little more - at least so Otter can get to her work bench without risking life & limb climbing through the debris, stuff like that. It did not have "repainting the backyard shed" on it. But Bill decided to repaint the shed now, while we still have decent weather. He also had a power washer that he borrowed from our property manager, which he got to use at the rent house when he repaints the garage. So he decided to take advantage of the fact that he had a toy to play with. So he power washed the shed last night, and we got started painting it tonight. We just got the front done, the back and one side are fine but the one remaining side needs to be repainted. Just the front which faces north and the side which faces east. The two sides that got the most wind this year! It was like they had been sand-blasted. So Bill painted the bulk of the front and I did the detail work. Bill said he might get home early enough tomorrow from the rent house to paint the remaining side of the shed, but most likely that is what we'll be doing Sunday.

The side that still needs to be painted is where I hung my ceramic farm scene. The same one that we all painted when I was in high school and gave to Dad for Christmas one year. Or it might have been his birthday or Father's Day. We all worked on it, it took a couple of weeks I guess. When it was finished and we gave it to him, he really liked it. He had it out on the back porch. When he died, I asked for it and then I brought it back to OK with me. It was in need of repair, so Bill fixed it for me and made it a little stronger. Then I touched up the paint and put a coat of sealer on it. Then we hung it on the east side of the shed. When I went to take it down yesterday before the power wash, there were two tree frogs behind it. I sat it down gently, then I picked up the tree frogs to relocate them. They didn't like it, but they seemed to tolerate me holding them. I put them on a tree and they were fine. But when I went to pick up the farm scene, I discovered a third tree frog on the back. That's the one that apparently was angry at being disturbed! My next stop, after I relocated him to where his buddies were on the tree, was to go scrub tree frog pee off of my hands. Ungrateful little hopper! Frogs don't usually pee on me, but I guess that the toads and bullfrogs in the yard forgot to tell the tree frogs that I won't hurt them.

Bill got the garage power washed at the rent house, and he'll go back tomorrow morning to actually paint it. While he had the power washer, he also hit the oil slick that just magically appeared on the driveway, right where he parks his van.

We had to shut the dogs back in their small yard this evening, they usually have the run of the yard when we get home and all night. But we were really afraid that we'd find two dogs stuck to the side of the shed! At least one of them would have had to go investigate the wet paint. And that would have been a disaster!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frog pee huh? serves you right for making it move from its house.
I can't understand why you closed the dogs out. You really don't want them painted? Maybe Bill should have power washed them. Just kidding. But they would have loved helping you and Bill.
How are my ceramic trees coming and what about the you know what for Toadles?
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I guess I could have left the frogs there. They could have played with the power wash. It would have been flying froggies!
I'm only working on one tree, not plural! One is the big one you bought but it was too big for you to ship. The other one, the one I bought for you before you got here and then we undecorated - it's about finished. I have a little touch up with the varnish coat to do which I'll probably do this weekend. I haven't done any more on Toadles item. I'm rethinking it, it really is a lot bigger than the rest of the "items" that it would go with.