Monday, February 16, 2009

Discoveries

This is what I discovered this afternoon:



Daffodils! We are going to have a lot of them, they tend to spread. Which is fine with me, they are among my favorite flowers. They really multiply.



Tulips! The tulips are up! About a dozen of them, this is one of the bigger ones. Most are just barely poking through the dirt. There should be several more, which should break through the dirt over the next few days. Once one starts, they all start.



The full shot of the tulip/daffodil bed. Not visible are the several earthworms I accidentally uncovered while I was pulling weeds. The worms got buried back again, where they are happily doing what they do.

But this is the biggest discovery of the afternoon. It might look small, but it's huge.




It's a BLUEBONNET! It's in the whiskey barrel and is tiny still, that is Otter's finger holding the leaves up for a size comparison. Sorry it's not a clearer picture, the camera that I was using is the older one and it's losing a lot of close-up focus. But the point is that last year's naturalized bluebonnets have sucessfully seeded. Or it could be from a seed I planted, but the seeds were off of last year's naturalized plants. Happy, happy!

There was another picture, but the disk decided it didn't want to cooperate with me. At the end of the tulip bed is a gate, which leads to our back yard. The picture had a dog nose sticking through, Frasier was watching me the entire time I was weeding the tulip bed. Guess he wanted to help me play in the mud.

I left him alone for about 15 minutes this morning, in the living room without picking up the small trash can we have in there. And that was long enough! I discovered a trail of candy wrappers and peanut shells, from the knocked over can to his blanket. And he was nowhere in sight. Shortly after that, Otter went outside and discovered that he'd also left us a trail of pretzel bag pieces to follow. Frasier stayed way out of my reach while we were picking up, but he watched us closely. He probably knew he was in trouble, because he avoided me for a while. Dog's too smart for his own good sometimes.

Since I had the day off, Otter and I went thrifting. We didn't find a lot, but she did find a pair of jeans that she needed. I saw several Fenton pieces at one particular thrift, the Salvation Army on the expensive side of town. And they were all way overpriced, so they are still there. One piece was a rarer piece, but it was still more than I wanted to pay. The other stuff was reasonably common, but still overpriced!

We also hit the fabric store, Otter chose a dark blue fabric for the back of her quilt. Then we went to Michael's, she has a craft she wants to make, and we bought yarn while we were there for the tie-offs on her quilt. It's a brightly variegated yarn and will look very pretty.
I also finished pinning up the hem of her prom dress. I am going to get the hem actually sewn in the next couple of days, but I'm thinking about how I want to do it. The material is stretchy and the skirt is designed to be fuller towards the bottom. Otter is getting her hair cut after school tomorrow, then Friday when I pick her up I am taking her for a manicure.
Frasier just came to the door of the office, smiled at me and wagged his tail. Then he turned around and left. I probably should go see what he's gotten into this time!

No comments: