Friday, February 13, 2009

Frasier is Taking This Friday Off

I think he's mad at me. I got rid of his favorite chew bone, which he had just about destroyed. Then I walked around the back yard and found bunches of black walnuts, which I tossed over the fence along with the remnants of the chew bone, so he couldn't get them. Some of them had already been chewed on. He watched me toss them, then he pretty much ignored me after that. He should just be thankful I let them have access to the rest of the yard! But no, he's not thankful. He's pouting. He'll get over it. He wasn't too thrilled with Otter, either. She ran the vacuum in the living room when she got home from school. It's just not his day, what can I say.

Froggy, yes I will post a picture of my new Fenton. Probably in the next couple of days, I haven't gotten a picture yet. But I'm happy with it! It's a bowl, basically. Cased blue glass with a clear crest (edge). I'll explain it all to you later! In the meantime, I am going to look for your new collection start this weekend. I might get to a thrift store or two (or a dozen, more likely) Sunday or Monday. Otter is always up for a thrifting trip and we also need to go to the library for a book she reserved so we'll probably combine the trip.

Frasier must still be mad at me, he just came in here and turned right back around to leave the room.

Bill's thinking that the Go-Fast Car will officially be called White Lightning. Which fits, it's white and it can go about as fast as lightning. But he's not completely sure yet, so no decorative license plate quite yet. He drove it today, and when we met for lunch he said he was going to go look at pawn shops for a radio for it. Which is actually just an excuse to drive it longer before he comes home! :) Not that I blame him, actually. It's a fun car. I think I'm going to drive it one day next week, it needs an oil change and the place we use is close to where I work.
It was 70 degrees today. February in NE OK and it's 70! Tonight will be back to normal, right around freezing and then tomorrow will be in the high 30's or with luck it will get up to the low 40's. Either way, I brought in firewood just now.
Valentine's Day has never been a big celebration day for us. It's so close to our wedding anniversary might have a lot to do with that, but for whatever reason it's not a big day for us. Which probably sounds odd, since we actually got engaged on our first Valentine's Day together. We usually have steaks or something like that, and of course a little chocolate. And Otter gets a small gift, usually candy related. But it's not a day we go out on or really do anything big for. This year, the original plan was that I was going to make chicken fajitas but I think I'm changing my meal to roast & veggies instead.
Which brings me to my next topic. Froggy and Toadly, you might remember when you were kids and Mom would make roast. It was a big meal that would feed several and there were probably leftovers for a couple of days. That's what I remember. Huge cuts of meat. Good cuts, with some fat and a bone. Anybody bought a roast lately? I don't make roast that often, but I have always noticed the same thing. The largest size roast I can find is usually not even 4 pounds, they are tiny, usually have a lot of fat and frequently are boneless. I think I've mentioned before how I will frequently buy two roasts and cook them at the same time. At Wallyworld yesterday when we bought groceries, the roasts that they had wouldn't even feed a goldfish! So I stopped at one of the grocery only Wallyworlds on the way home today and the ones they had were about the same but they were better looking and had less fat. So I bought two and will cook them tomorrow, but even though there are two I think that they will fit in one cooking bag. Interesting trend, smaller sizes of things. It's not just recent with the economy, although I have noticed that there are a lot of things that are smaller since the economy started having hiccups. But not everything is recent. Just one of the things I thought about today!
Before I forget - Froggy, you commented about what Dad would say about the weather and how I should move Home to TEXAS. Yes, he would say that. But I realized something while watching the never-ending coverage of storms that were not in our area and would not be in our area but the tv still covered them constantly and repetitively. What I realized is that there is a reason for Dad's feelings about this area being so bad weather-wise. Hominy is right in the firing line for the majority of the storms that the state gets. My area does still get them, and they can be bad. But statistically, we don't get that many here while the western and northwestern part of the state get more. After we moved here, he always told me how bad the weather had been at times when he was growing up. I think he was probably exaggerating slightly because he wanted me to move back, but he wasn't stretching all that much.
And we never did have chili last night! Bill wasn't that hungry, Otter wasn't hungry at all so I made a tuna sandwich and they ate when they decided they were ready. However, I AM making chili tonight! And I hope that they are hungry, because I'm not cooking anything else for them. I guess that makes me a mean mommy! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About Dad-he didn't live in Hominy all of his life. I am not sure exactly where he lived. That place may have had even more bad weather.
I usually just buy a roast and cook it in the crock pot. I also add garlic,pepper, onions, and any other spice that sounds good. I put in carrots and potatoes and put the roast on top of them and then mix up pioneer low fat brown gravy and pour that over the roast. I had not read your blog yet and I was thinking about cooking a roast in the next couple of days. Great minds think alike. Froggy