Friday, March 13, 2009

Frasier is Busy!

He's too busy to post today, so no Frasier Friday. What is he doing you ask? Well, he's standing out in the back yard. Barking. At the trees, the sky, the air - or possibly at himself. He's not normally a noisy dog, but every so often he seems to get in these moods where he just has to bark. He'll shut up in a few minutes and come inside, and probably curl up on his blanket for a short nap. Which will then be followed by another nap, probably in front of the fireplace if Bill builds a fire, or in front of the tv which is his latest place to sleep. He knows we have to walk right by him, which means that he gets petted. Dog's smart, that's for sure.

Maggie Moo, on the other hand...

Otter went to a Murder Mystery Party last night. One of her friends had the party, they all had a different character to portray. Otter's character was a chicken farmer. So she wore her jeans, one of my blue chambray shirts, her red bandana and her straw hat. She had feathers sticking out of the straw hat and her shirt pocket was full of them. She looked really cute and she had a great time. Her character was not the bad guy, but apparently she was the major suspect until the very end. I forgot to take pictures, unfortunately.

I scored another piece of cheap Fenton yesterday! I went to a thrift store at lunch, I'm on the hunt for corelle plates in my pattern. I'll give it a while before I give up and just buy new plates, but I'm not there yet. Anyway, I decided that since I was there I might as well look around. This particular thrift (Salvation Army) is generally overpriced, it's on the more expensive side of town and the prices reflect that. The merchandise is the same as the other stores carry, it's just that the prices are higher. This one has larger locked display cases than the other stores, and they sometimes have good stuff locked away with even higher price tags, but most of the time they have stuff that isn't particularly sought after or deserving of the higher price in their cabinets. This time, they had what I consider plain old junk in the cabinets! Apparently, the person that sorted out what is "good" and what isn't didn't know what he/she was doing. Because the real "good" stuff was just sitting out on a shelf with a bunch of cheap, junky stuff. $3.99. Amber, hobnail, footed compote. Of course it came home with me! You didn't really think I'd leave it there, now did you? I'll get a picture eventually, I haven't had time. But I only had one other piece of amber Fenton before this one, it's hard to find for some reason. I actually pass a lot of Fenton by, since I really am cheap about it. I have a general price guide that I try to stick with and mostly, I manage to. There is only one piece that I've really gone over my limit on, and that was the silver turquoise crest and then only because I know how rare that particular style really is. But I would not have paid any more for it than I did. Actually, I was not going to get that one but Bill told me I had to. So I did, but I still thought long and hard about it!

We have made a decision regarding Christmas gift-giving. This has already been sent out via email to family, but I wanted to expand on it a little bit. We have decided that we will no longer participate in the gift-giving at Christmas with siblings & their offspring. We have been thinking about it for a while. Our feeling is that it's more important for people to take care of their own families' needs without worrying about us. It can be a hassle and a headache, trying to find just the right gift for everybody and then it has to be shipped to us since most of the family live well south of us. Also, with the fact that the economy is tightening up, we don't feel comfortable with expecting people to spend money on us. Froggy, you mentioned the Bible telling us to love one another. That is very true and I think it's very important that we do exactly that. But I don't think that it means that we have to spend money on someone to show our love for them. Especially when the price of things seems to be going up on a regular basis.

Today was my friend Virginia's last day of work! She retired after 28 years working for the State of Texas. She's not quite the standard retirement age, but the state has an excellent retirement plan. She will be able to spend more time with her hubby and the grandkids, and I am very happy for her.

Well, I think it's time to go rustle up dinner. I didn't exactly eat lunch, I ran some errands and then had two graham crackers with peanut butter on them so I am starving! It's a snack supper tonight, we have a Hickory Farms summer sausage roll left from Christmas and it's still good but the best-by date is coming up pretty fast so I am going to slice it up along with some swiss & cheddar cheese, and it'll be served with Ritz crackers. Also, I splurged on chips and dip but I won't have much of that as it's got a lot more fat than I need to eat. The chips and dip were mostly for the Otter and Bill anyway.

Then I think it's time to get back to my crochet! Froggy, I'm working on your collection. I'm having a lot of fun.

No comments: