Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday's Weather, Tulips & Doggies

The pictures are in no particular order today.

Sorry this is blurry, the old camera has good moments and then it has not-so-good moments. Guess which kind it was having today! Anyway, these are the daffys I planted a couple of years ago. I had forgotten that I had planted any daffodils, I was thinking that they were all the ones that Sweetie planted but those are the standard yellow and I planted a different kind for variety. I just forgot about it. There are a few of the yellow ones in the tulip bed, but so far the only ones blooming are these.

Heavy Duty Grooming Session In Progress. Disturb at your peril.

Spooky dog!


Begging is so much more effective when your ear is folded! This is her attempt at sad puppy eyes. And it's much more effective when that fat belly isn't visible! I was surprised she sat still for so long, she was in this pose while I took Frasier's picture and then she stayed sitting like that until I was finished taking hers.


This one is a little blurry as well, but mostly because I was just too close as is indicated by the sharp focus behind the blossom!


The majority of the tulips that are already blooming are this type. But there are still several yet to bloom, lots of buds just forming.


Standing in front of the tulip bed.



Standing at the side, facing the gate to the back yard. The daffodils are all clumped in the middle this year, which was not deliberate.


For years, probably ever since we moved here 4 years ago, the violets have refused to bloom and I usually get disgusted with not having any blossoms, which results in all of them being ripped out of the bed. But this year, they have decided to cooperate. I guess they got smart this year, otherwise it would be curtains for them! There are actually a lot of them blooming. I love violets, I always have. Mom and Aunt Jessie had them planted, either in the flower bed outside of Aunt Jessie's apartment or beside the garage outside the gate to Aunt Jessie's apartment.
OK, that's dogs & tulips taken care of. Now I guess it's time to discuss weather. We might get the noisy kind tonight, probably after midnight. The bullseye of the firing line is well north of us (Froggy, think north of Hominy), but we could still get thunderstorms. Have I mentioned how much I don't like spring weather? Just in case you haven't figured that out yet, I DON'T LIKE SPRING STORMS. I like thunderstorms. I like rain. I just don't like what are referred to as spring storms in this part of the country!
Regarding that spectacular news I mentioned a couple of days ago, it's probably going to be about 2 weeks before I'm able to discuss it. But it's really good. Froggy, you already know about it.
Otter went back to school today, after a week off for spring break. She seems to have survived.
The other thing I realized today is tomorrow is 2 years to the day since I got sick - the time that put me in the hospital. I'm just happy that it is behind me now, it was not a fun experience and it was scary at times.
Still nearly 3 weeks until Easter. I've been resisting chocolate, except on Sundays and then I've tried to show restraint. But it's been hard at times, especially while I had Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies calling my name from the freezer! They are gone now, they were my chocolate indulgence yesterday. But the end of Lent is in sight. Lent is meant to be a time of self-denial, a chance to let go of some of the things that weigh us down and keep our focus off of where it really should be, which is on God. By letting go of whatever it is, a habit - good or bad, a particular food, whatever it is, we can grow closer to God and learn a lot about ourselves in the process. It is only as difficult as we chose to make it. I think that we bring a lot of our problems on ourselves sometimes. Observing Lent is not "just" for one particular brand of Christianity, it is for all of us and so are the lessons we can learn as we experience self-denial by letting go of our own selfish desires. It can be an amazing experience. And one I look forward to every year, as strange as that sounds to look forward to a time of denial. Because waiting at the end of the long, dark days of Lent is the most special Reward we could ever hope for, the One that makes it all worth it.

No comments: